Question About Touching Nose Post-rhinoplasty

can i touch my nose 7 months post op rhinoplasty, also i was wondering is it normal if one side of my nose tip feels soft and the other side feels bony and numb...this would mean my nose is healing at different rates on both sides is this normal, i also noticed the hard numb side has a subtlely higher nostril hood is this normal

Rhinoplasty Healing

+1

The nose shouldn't heal at different rates. If the nose feels different on one side, it might be because there is either cartilage graft or scar tissue underneath. At 7 months if it feels and looks noticeably different you should return to the surgeon to reexamine your nose.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Healing after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is common for different areas of your nose to heal at different rates.  It is also not uncommon to have different sensations in various parts of your nose.   This usually resolves anywhere from 6-12 months after surgery.  Seems like your are in the earlier part of this window of time.  I am confident you will find improvement in the upcoming months.

OK to Touch Your Nose

+1

It is certainly OK to touch your nose at 7 months after rhinoplasty.

Much of what you describe is normal for this time after nasal surgery. Firm spots and numbness can last 18 months after surgery, especially at the tip of the nose.

Asymmetry may be temporary, but it is wisest to check this out with your surgeon to be sure that it is not a problem that may require intervention.

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Touching your nose after rhinoplasty

+1

All the things you describe are typical in the first year following a rhinoplasty.  Touching your nose is fine at this time.  This differences you describe may be fine or there actually might be some asymmetry which has occurred from the procedure.  It is difficult to tell without seeing photos or examining you. You will not know for sure if these things are definitely a problem until the nose is completely healed at one year.  The two sides of the nose can certainly heal at different rates.  I would suggest you discuss these issues with your surgeon who should be able to better reassure you or explain what he/she thinks is going on.  Good Luck

Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon