Will Weight Lifting Improve Stretch Marks?

hello im 18 years old sex: male my weight was 220 lbs and i have lost near 60 lbs my problem now is the stretch marks so my question if go to the gym and start to do workouts and lift weights ( getting fit and building my body with muscles) does that will reduce the stretch marks? i know it cant be removed ... i want it to be hardly seen thanks

Stretch marks, vbeam, fraxel

+1

Moderate weight lifting and excercising will not improve the existing stretchmarks however in your case it may tighten muscles in the skin. It is not true that stretch marks can not be removed or treated. Efficient laser treatments such as fraxel or vbeam & others have successfully treated hundreds of patients with streatch marks in our practices. In fact, we were the first to publish on our treatment technique for stretch marks & even the first to define criteria to how to evaluate stretch marks.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Stretch marks and weight lifting

+1

Weight lifters are known to develop stretch marks.  The growth of the muscle stresses the collagen in the skin leading to stretch marks.  So lifting weights to try to improve stretch marks may be counterproductive. The way to treat stretch marks is complicated. When they are red some lasers will help . Otherwise collagen stimulating lasers or topical tretinoin may help .

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

Weight lifting will not improve stretch marks

+1

When stretch marks are still red or purplish, they can be improved by topical application of retinoids, such as Retin A, Differin or Tazorac.  They can also be treated with a pulsed dye laser.

When the stretch marks are already hypopigmented (lighter than skin color), they can respond to fractional laser resurfacing.  Some success has been reported with the excimer laser as well.

Weight lifting, especially if it is strenuous can actually contribute to worsening stretch marks as is seen in many athletes.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Au Contraire

+1

Weight-lifting can lead to stretch marks in the manner Dr. Chen describes. I would add that steroid usage would further accentuate the stretch marks that weigh lifting would render.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Stretch marks and weight lifting

+1

Weight lifting will not improve stretch marks and gaining weight if body building might actually increase them. Topical retinoids can be used to treat these if used early enough.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Weight lifting and stretch marks

+1

Weight lifting - especially rigorous lifting can actually cause stretch marks when the growth of muscle overtakes the ability of the skin to stretch and accomodate the growing muscle.  The best way to avoid stretch marks from weight lifting is to moderate the work-outs.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist