Smoking After Rhinoplasty - could I have damaged my nose?

i smoked a joint yesterday, ( i am 3 and a half months post op frm a rhinoplasty). it is the first time i have smoked , could i have caused any damage to my nose? ( i will refrain from re-doing it in the future)

Smoking after Rhinoplasty

+2

Smoking 3 1/2 months after surgery will not affect your rhinoplasty result. I'm not endorsing your smoking which can cause other problems. 

Smoking and Rhinoplasty

+2

Smoking after three months will not have an effect on your results however I am sure you are aware of the dangers of smoking.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking after rhinoplasty

+2

It is a good idea to refrain from smoking one month before and for six weeks after any type of surgery where skin is being undermined. The nicotine in cigarettes and this includes a joint which contains nicotine that will vasoconstrict the skin vessels and cause further blood flow compromise.

Arian Mowlavi, MD
Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Smoking after rhinoplasty

+2

There are few risks to smoking through or after a rhinoplasty procedure. Healing risks are common for procedures such as tummy tuck or facelift, but not with rhinoplasty. Cosmetic surgery is a convenient time to stop and invest in your health as you invest in your looks.

peterejohnsonmd

Smoking after rhinoplasty

+2

Smoking 3 and 1/2 months after cosmetic  rhinoplasty does not affect the surgical result.

Erel Laufer, MD

Smoking after rhinoplasty

+2
Smoking should not interfere with your rhinoplasty result . Smoking is not recommended for general health reasons.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and surgery

+1
3 months after surgery is fine to not affect your surgical result.
Here are the major points of smoking Tobacco or Marijuana before or after surgery:1. There is nicotine in tobacco, but not in marijuana. However, most joints are rolled with marijuana and tobacco combination. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor that decreases blood flow to the tissues. This is the major problems that can cause a very bad outcome in some surgeries. In a breast augmentation, there is not a lot of risk as there are not a lot of incisions which decrease blood flow to the tissues. In a breast lift or tummy tuck, on the other hand, there is much longer and more involved incisions. The decrease in blood flow to the tissues in combination with the decrease in blood flow from the nicotine can cause tissue to die. This can cause part of the breast or nipple, or in the case of a tummy tuck, part of the belly tissue to die, resulting in a very bad outcome. This is especially bad in breast reductions or face lifts. In a rhinoplasty the tip of the nose and the columella, the area between the tip and the lip, is at risk. Your skin and tissue can turn black and fall off if this happens. In fat transfer, the constricted blood flow can cause the fat to not get a blood supply and die. Marijuana without tobacco does not cause this problem, or marijuana in an edible fashion. Vaporizers do not decrease the amount of nicotine in tobacco, only decrease the smoke. Hookah also does not decrease nicotine.
2. There is carbon monoxide in both tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke. Carbon monoxide decreases the oxygen carrying capacity of hemoglobin in the blood. This is different from the vasoconstrictor effect, but has the same result of having the risk of tissue death in conjunction with surgeries that decrease the blood flow to tissues such as breast lifts and tummy tucks, as opposed to an augmentation alone that does not decrease blood flow to as great of an extent. Again, edible forms of marijuana do not have smoke, and thus carbon monoxide poisoning.
3. Coughing. Both tobacco and marijuana smoke disrupt the lining of the lungs and bronchi and can lead to coughing episodes. Coughing episodes can lead to internal bleeding after surgery that can lead to hematomas and complications, and again a bad outcome. Again, edible forms of marijuana does not have this effect.
4. Anesthesia effects. Marijuana can have drug interactions with certain anesthetic drugs. Thus it is important to tell your anesthesiologist about your marijuana use.
In conclusion, Smoking, whether it be tobacco or marijuana, is detrimental to your surgery outcome. Edible marijuana is much less so, but be honest about your use with your surgeon and anesthesiologist so that you can have the best outcome. In general, you should quite smoking many weeks, ideally 6 weeks before surgery, and not smoke for at least 2 weeks after surgery.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Smoking After Rhinoplasty

+1

While not advisable for its health risks, smoking 3 1/2 months after surgery should not have a significant adverse impact on the results of the rhinoplasty.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Smoking after rhinoplasty

+1

In the immediate post operative time frame smoking may adversely affect the healing process. However, at three and one half months  the majority of the healing has been accomplished so smoking will have a very little, if any effect.

Donald M. Brown, MD

Cigarettes or "other"?

+1

At 3 1/2 months you are unlikely to have any significant effects from smoking regarding your rhinoplasty.  Cigarettes restrict blood flow which can decrease healing and increase the risk of infection.  If you have had multiple rhinoplasties this might increase your risk to a significant degree but it doesn't sound like it.  Marijuana does not have the same effect as tobacco/nicotine with regards to blood flow so I think you are in the clear from a surgery standpoint, if I read this correctly.  I'll skip the illegal drug/cigarette smoking lecture, but you get the point...

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon