I am 9 weeks post op from my Rhinoplasty and I was wondering; Can I smile as often as i want to?

Are there still chances that my bones will shift out of place? or are they pretty much "anchored" in place and wont move unless i sustain a hard blow

Be happy and Smile

+2

Congratulations on your surgery. At 9 weeks, as long as your treating surgeon concurs, smile as much as you want and enjoy your fantastic results!

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Safe to smile

+1

Actully it is safe to smile,six weeks after hinoplasty surgery.However you should avoid any kind of blow or trauma to your nose.

Anup Dhir, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

OK to smile 9 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

Go ahead and smile and enjoy your new nose!  At 9 weeks, the bones are healed well enough that it would take a considerable force to move the bones, They are essentially healed by 6 weeks. You may have a "stiff" upper lip and tightness in the tip.  This may take several months to resolve.

Enjoy the new nose and smile

Richard L. Dolsky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Smile after Rhinoplasty!

+1

It is perfectly acceptable to laugh and smile at thus point in your recovery after Rhinoplasty. The nose will not shift with smiling. Dr. G.

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

You are safe to smile

+1
After 9 weeks, a rhinoplasty is pretty stable. Your smile may not be back to normal (and it will be), but it will not effect your result. Smile away!
Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.
Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smiling will not displace nasal bones 9 weeks after nose job

+1

By 9 weeks the vast majority of bone "glue" called callus has been deposited and it is highly unlikely that you would displace the bones by smiling. A signficant blow could do this but not smiling.

Smiling After Rhinoplasty

+1

Smile! Your healing has progressed enough by 9 weeks. I generally do not like patients to smile too much during the early period (first few weeks) because it does put tension of the tip of the nose.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smiling After Rhinoplasty

+1

After 9 weeks, while you may still have some swelling, most of the healing has taken place.  Your nasal bones will not move and you can smile.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Smiling Restrictions after Nose Surgery

+1

Regarding: "Smiling After Rhinoplasty
i am 9 weeks post op from my rhinoplasty and i ws wondering, can i smile as often as i want to? are there still chances that my bones will shift out of place? or are they pretty much "anchored" in place and wont move unless i sustain a hard blow
"

With exception of a small, thin muscle involved in pulling up the upper lip, a minor pull at best, none of the smiling muscles insert or pull on the walls of the nose, the walls which were moved in to narrow the nose. So there is no reason except scaring you (Remember the old don't play with matches or you Will ....?) into being more careful. At more than 2 months after surgery the bones are healed in their new location and you can do more than smile. I would not engage in boxing or playing football or Lacrosse without a helmet though.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Smiling or Laughing After Rhinoplasty Surgery is OK

+1

Hi 3233anon,

The tip of your nose and upper lip may still feel tight or little numb with smiling or laughing, but you should not affect your rhinoplasty results. Even with open rhinoplasty or external nasal incisions, smiling should not adversely affect your final outcome. I know of no rhinoplasty surgeon or specialist who restricts smiling or laughing in the postoperative period, but check with your operative surgeon. Smiling is the best form of plastic surgery, and we all encourage it! Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon