Question Regarding Shaving the Nose Down Very Slightly?

I am booked for a rhinoplasty next week, I have a protruding tip and deviated septum, my nose is slim and has no dorsal hump so my surgeon thinks I should just have tip work done as its my profile thats the problem (bringing my nose closer to my face) After the consultation I thought about having my nose slightly shaved down as I think it sticks out from my face just between my eyes but I have no idea how that will affect me regarding swelling and splints as I was not due to have a splint.

Quality Communication

+1

The most important element of a pre-operative rhinoplasty consultation is good quality communication.   I recommend you only proceeding with surgery when you feel that both you and your doctor are on the same page when it comes to expectations after surgery.  I complete many rhinoplasty revisions for unsatisfactory surgery that has been performed in the past.  If you do not feel that you and your doctor on the same page, I suggest getting a second opinion from a board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon. 

Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty goals

+1

The only time a splint is placed across the bridge of the nose is when the nose bones are broken.  The nose bones are only broken when needed.  A small hump removal that is shaved down from the bridge of the nose will not require narrowing the nasal bones.  A large hump removal will leave patients with a wide nose and osteotomies must then need to be performed.  At that time a cast is applied.  The decision as to whether or not the nose bones are broken will depend upon how much hump is removed and how wide the nasal bones are preoperatively.

Rhinoplasty Goals & Expectations

+1

Rhinoplasty for either tip or nasal hump improvement is a very specialized procedure that can bring joy to one's life.  I urge you to spend quality time with your surgeon to discuss goals, expectations and the postoperative process in detail.  I am certain that he/she will look forward to speaking with you regarding your questions to enhance this wonderful experience. 

Karan Dhir, MD

Preoperative Consultation Rhinoplasty

+1

I would contact your doctor to discuss your concerns further; return to the office for an in person discussion may be the best.  There is a lot of planning that goes into every rhinoplasty. I am sure your doctor would be happy to discuss your concerns so that you both will be happy with the outcome.

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Questions Regarding Shaving Nose

+1

You need to immediately sit down with your surgeon and decide what will be done during your surgery which is less than a week away. Don't rush into surgery - over the years I've seen many patients for revisions because they didn't have clear expectations before their original operation.   

Clear communication with your surgeon regarding rhinoplasty

+1

Before surgery, be sure to make your feelings clear to your surgeon so that you two can be on the same page.  That way, you can rest assured you will get the results you want.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD