Early Detection of Post Lipo Complications

I had Tumescent Abdominal Liposuction performed recently. There was the expected soreness, bruising and swelling in my abdominal area which lingered for a day but the soreness rapidly dininished over the next 4 days. On Day 5 although the bruising appears to be diminishing more slowly the sorness is increasing. Not like it was before but more of a tenderness as my stomach feels rigid and tight. This is day 7, should I initiate something before my follow in 2 days? I just want to be proactive.

Discomfort is normal after abdominal liposuction

+1

1. It is normal to have soreness and discomfort after liposuction.

2. Often times the soreness can become more apparent after 5-7 days when the initial swelling starts to goes down and the nerves in that area start to "wake up".  

3. Any changes or questions should be immediately discussed with your doctor, since there can be other reasons for a change in condition which may require medical attention.

Male liposuction post surgical swelling.

+1

Since your post op is in just 2 days, you should call your PS and speck to a nurse and ask them if you are supposed to be wearing any compression garnments. 

With any surgery the worst swelling and inflammation occurs for the first 4 days.

This is followed by the proliferative phase in which scar tissue is laid down to heal your wounds for up to 6 weeks.

Six weeks after surgery, you transition to the maturation phase in which your scars soften and the collagen is organized. This takes a minimum of an additional 6 weeks and can last up to 2 years.

Generally, I advise patients to wait 3-4 months before judging their long term results.

Liposuction and post-op recovery

+1

From your photograph I don't see anything obviously or visually wrong. Do you have postoperative compression garments like a vest or a rap? Most doctors use these. Some do not. If you don't have that you may consider talking to your doctor about it. In addition postoperative ultrasound treatments help with scarring lumpiness and discomfort. That is a proactive way of speeding up the healing. In addition taking enzymes post-operatively seems to help.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and post-op recovery

+1

Everyone is a bit different regarding the healing after liposuction. It is normal to have some discomfort after the procedure even  a week or two out. If you are concerned, then I would speak to your doctor.

Liposuction recovery bruising swelling

+1

It is quite normal in the first few weeks to have tenderness soreness and significant swelling. If however you feel that there is greater internal hardness and if it is becoming more painful then  you should see your surgeon now.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction

+1

Based only on photos, this looks to be a normal course of events following liposuction.  The bruising should go away in another 10-20 days.  The pain will become more like a soreness.  The period of complete recovery may take 2-4 months.  You will need massaging of the areas.

Shahin Javaheri, MD