Question About Ideal Weight for Tummy Tuck?

I have 5 children, including 2 yr old twins. I'm 5"2', 119 lbs. I've been trying hard to lose all the baby weight, but just can't lose the last 10-15 lbs. I have a back injury that includes broken vertabraes, herniated disks and nerve damage. During the twin pg I developed a 5" diastasis. Without the stomach muscles, there seems to be more pain, and it is hard to lift or hold my kids. I've heard to have a TT you have to be at an ideal weight. Is that true, and is so, what should I be? Thanks

You appear to already be at an ideal weight. The surgery and diastasis repair will help you significantly with the pain

Ideal Body Weight for Tummy Tuck

You seem to be at an ideal weight for this procedure. You will get great results if you are already at an ideal weight prior to the procedure. This procedure can correct the muscular diastasis and improve the pain you are currently dealing with if it is due to that.

Ideal weight for tummy tuck

Your are correct that being at your ideal body weight will get you the best result after tummy tuck surgery. At 119 pounds, you are very close to your ideal weight. In my experience, you will most likely lose the rest of your baby weight after the tummy tuck. After your muscle repair is done, you will be able to exercise better without pain. Good Luck!

Stanley Castor, MD

Best Weight for Tummy Tuck.

Perfect Weight for a Tummy Tuck

The closer you are to an ideal weight for a Tummy Tuck, the better the procedure's potential to be. In your case, your BMI is pretty low and you are in a healthy range, which means that your current weight is ideal for a Tummy Tuck procedure.  Actually as long as your weight is stable and you are not morbidly obese most are reasonable candidates for this type of surgery. In most cases in my experience, he procedure will help you get you back on track to reaching that perfect proportion and ideal self image. Your back injuries are not a contraindication for surgery. Post operative core exercises will help both your back and maintain your tummy tuck results. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Ideal Weight Before Tummy Tuck?

If a person is within 20 or 30 pounds of the goal weight then it is reasonable to proceed with tummy tuck.  A large diastasis can be remedied as well and can help abdominal wall function and spine stabilization.

Get it done

I tell my patients to be approximately  within 10 lbs. with a large diastasis, repairing it could really help your back condition. Get it done!!!!

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Your Ideal Weight Is Probably Your Current Weight

Your current weight can be considered "ideal".

It's true that better results are achieved when you're at an ideal weight for a tummy tuck, however a better way to determine whether you're a good candidate for surgery is your Body Mass Index (BMI). A BMI that is in the normal range generally enables you to achieve better results and puts you at the least risk of developing complications, when compared to a BMI that is in the under/over weight or obese range. For this reason, I often do not perform surgery on patients who are not in the normal BMI range, for their safety.

Fortunately, your weight appears to be within the normal BMI range, which means that you can consider it as a viable solution to address your diastasis (pending a medical consultation with a plastic surgeon). The procedure can correct the separation and resolve related pain. Are you planning to lose anymore weight? Prior to surgery, you should be at a stable "normal" weight, so this would probably be your "ideal" weight. 

Ideal weight for Tummy Tuck

I am very sorry to hear that you have had such a rough go of things.  Judging from your rectus diastasis and your history of twin pregnancy, I think you would really benefit from a tummy tuck.  I always encourage people to be close to their ideal weight prior to surgery and judging from your height and weight, I think you are there.  At 119 pounds, I believe you can expect an excellent response from the tummy tuck.  The tummy tuck itself will help you lose a couple of pounds and that may help get you going again to achieve your perfect weight.  Good luck.

Tummy tuck

Your current weight is perfectly fine as far as proceeding with a tummy tuck.  You sound like an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck and muscle repair.  You do not need to lose any more weight. Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Ideal weight before tummy tuck

Ideally you should be close to your ideal body weight before surgery, but at 5'2" and 119 you certainly are a candidate based on your rectus diastasis. If you are unable to lose any further weight I would imagine you would still have a good cosmetic outcome from a tummy tuck. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person consultation for more information based on your specific anatomy.

William Bruno, MD