Question About Ideal Weight for Tummy Tuck?

I have 5 children, including 2 yr old twins. I'm 5"2', 119 lbs. I've been trying hard to lose all the baby weight, but just can't lose the last 10-15 lbs. I have a back injury that includes broken vertabraes, herniated disks and nerve damage. During the twin pg I developed a 5" diastasis. Without the stomach muscles, there seems to be more pain, and it is hard to lift or hold my kids. I've heard to have a TT you have to be at an ideal weight. Is that true, and is so, what should I be? Thanks

Weight

+2

You appear to already be at an ideal weight. The surgery and diastasis repair will help you significantly with the pain

Best Weight for Tummy Tuck.

+1

Perfect Weight for a Tummy Tuck

The closer you are to an ideal weight for a Tummy Tuck, the better the procedure's potential to be. In your case, your BMI is pretty low and you are in a healthy range, which means that your current weight is ideal for a Tummy Tuck procedure.  Actually as long as your weight is stable and you are not morbidly obese most are reasonable candidates for this type of surgery. In most cases in my experience, he procedure will help you get you back on track to reaching that perfect proportion and ideal self image. Your back injuries are not a contraindication for surgery. Post operative core exercises will help both your back and maintain your tummy tuck results. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Ideal Weight Before Tummy Tuck?

+1

If a person is within 20 or 30 pounds of the goal weight then it is reasonable to proceed with tummy tuck.  A large diastasis can be remedied as well and can help abdominal wall function and spine stabilization.

Get it done

+1

I tell my patients to be approximately  within 10 lbs. with a large diastasis, repairing it could really help your back condition. Get it done!!!!

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Your Ideal Weight Is Probably Your Current Weight

+1

Your current weight can be considered "ideal".

It's true that better results are achieved when you're at an ideal weight for a tummy tuck, however a better way to determine whether you're a good candidate for surgery is your Body Mass Index (BMI). A BMI that is in the normal range generally enables you to achieve better results and puts you at the least risk of developing complications, when compared to a BMI that is in the under/over weight or obese range. For this reason, I often do not perform surgery on patients who are not in the normal BMI range, for their safety.

Fortunately, your weight appears to be within the normal BMI range, which means that you can consider it as a viable solution to address your diastasis (pending a medical consultation with a plastic surgeon). The procedure can correct the separation and resolve related pain. Are you planning to lose anymore weight? Prior to surgery, you should be at a stable "normal" weight, so this would probably be your "ideal" weight. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Ideal weight for Tummy Tuck

+1

I am very sorry to hear that you have had such a rough go of things.  Judging from your rectus diastasis and your history of twin pregnancy, I think you would really benefit from a tummy tuck.  I always encourage people to be close to their ideal weight prior to surgery and judging from your height and weight, I think you are there.  At 119 pounds, I believe you can expect an excellent response from the tummy tuck.  The tummy tuck itself will help you lose a couple of pounds and that may help get you going again to achieve your perfect weight.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

Your current weight is perfectly fine as far as proceeding with a tummy tuck.  You sound like an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck and muscle repair.  You do not need to lose any more weight. Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Ideal weight before tummy tuck

+1

Ideally you should be close to your ideal body weight before surgery, but at 5'2" and 119 you certainly are a candidate based on your rectus diastasis. If you are unable to lose any further weight I would imagine you would still have a good cosmetic outcome from a tummy tuck. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person consultation for more information based on your specific anatomy.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Congratulations on four successful pregnancies.  Based on your  history, description and  body characteristics you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery at this point.

You may want to seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of their work.

You may find the following words of advice, I routinely give to my patients who are about to undergo tummy tuck surgery, helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Body Contouring Results Are Affected By BMI

+1

Body Mass Index is a measure of overal health calcluated by using your height in centimeters and weight in kilograms.  There are many free calculators online.  Anything below 24 in women suggests that you are close to your ideal weight and at low risk for weight related medical issues like hypertension, increased cholesterol, heart disease, etc.  Body countouring results are better in lower and normal BMI patients.  Your BMI is just over 21...congratulations!  Having had twins, this is an excellent accomplishment!  You are far ahead of most people in the country.  You are currently an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck and do not have to lose any addiitional weight to benefit from the results.  Given your history of back injuries, the recovery will be a bit more challenging but long term you should do well.  You may even experience an improvment of your back symptoms once your core muscles are tightened. Best wishes!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon