How Does Hydroxyapatite Granules Differ From Medpor?

For the orbital rim and paranasal augmentation. What are the long term infection rates for this material? How hard is it to remove long term? I heard it can calcify and turn into real bone, is this true? How does it differ from medpor? Thank you

Medpor vs. hydroxyappetite

+1

Radiesse is composed of round particles of calcium hydroxyapatite (a natural mineral bone like material normally present in the body) floating in a gel. Because of its simple chemical mineral structure it is non-allergenic so no skin tests are needed and because of the particle size it can last 2 or more years after injection. Because of the way it handles and feels it should be injected into deeper layers just below the skin. The prefilled syringes are filled with 70% gel so additional injection fine tuning is usually required as the gel is absorbed in the first few days. In the absence of movement or infection adjacent bone will grow into hydroxyappetite. It then is eventually completely replaced by adjacent bone
ingrowth. The problem with it is it is much harder to work with in solid form because it is so brittle. A paste form has been described but its use is hampered by its inability to maintain a desired shape before ingrowth is completed.

Medpor is a solid synthetic porous polyethelene with multiple small holes through which blood vessels and soft tissue grow to incorporate the implant and fix it into position. It's main advantage besides incorporation is that in comes in many different shapes straight from the manufacturer and these shapes can be adjust by heating the implant. It holds that shape at body temperature while hydroxyappetite paste does not until some days have past and it has solidified. In the absence of infection medpor implants are fixed in position within a few weeks after placement by the ingrowth.

After incorporation both materials have much lower rates of infection than non-incorporating material like silicone.

As you can see they are quite different and their indications for use also different.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

+1

Regarding: "For the orbital rim and paranasal augmentation. What are the long term infection rates for this material? How hard is it to remove long term? I heard it can calcify and turn into real bone, is this true? How does it differ from medpor? "

Hydroxyapatite granules are a biological filler derived from sea coral and are provided as a powder which is applied against the bone to increase its volume. Radiesse is an injectable form of it. I would NOT put it anywhere with thin or extremely mobile skin (lips or eyelids). Medpor and Porex is the trade name of a large family of porous polyethylene ready made implants. These implants allow blood vessels to grow into the implants reducing the rate of infection and better fixing the implants in place.

Personally, I think you need to see how augmentation may look in the area with injection of saline (which is very temporary) before having a permanent implant. Depending on the area, you may want to consider Radiesse over Medpor - it will be cheaper and will not require surgery to place. Moreover the size of the augmentation will be customized to you rather than using an off the shelf size.

Good Luck.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.