Question About Gap and Cleavage?

4 days out 304cc dual plane. I have large gap. I understand I had one before and will have one no matter what but is there any way to help close the gap post op recovery? I am wearing a surgical bra and strap above my implants but the implants are not riding high at all. Most of the swelling is side below arm pit. strap help bring them closer together. my implants aren't riding high, is it bad to even be wearing the strap? I keep the bra tight to bring them closer together during healing?

Gap

+1

yes the gap is your anatomic presentation and can only be improved and never corrected completely. Larger implants that fit you, not oversized help. Too large will usually shift laterally into the sides.

Gap between breast implants - necessary or not?

+1

We don't have the benefit of any photos but I personally try to close the gap even in wide breasted patients by selecting an implant whose width is enough to get cloe to the midline without going too far.  That way I don't create what I once heard called "Death Valley."  You can't close it up after surgery, just maybe needed wider implants. That's usually the problem.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Gap and Cleavage

+1

Thanks for sharing your story.  From the context that you presented, you have a clear understanding of your own anatomy and potential postoperative result.  The strap that you wear up top keeps the implants from migrating north and you are keeping your bra tight to keep them centralized.  The only area of caution is that you should make sure that by tightening your bra, you do not force the implant laterally.  You can correct this by padding the bra on the sides or talking with your surgeon who can help with surgical taping to help keep the implants from migrating outwards.  You have to be careful with tape because too much traction will damage your skin and could cause blisters.  I am glad that you did not try to correct the gap with a very large implant; this can lead to synmastia (appearance of one large breast) which is difficult to treat. 

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Gap between breasts after implants

+1

The space between your breasts before surgery may be very similar to the space between your breast implants after surgery.Although your surgeon may be able to place the implants slightly closer, your anatomy dictates how close they will ultimately be. You can try wearing a good sports bra to prevent any lateral movement of the implant. Discuss this further with your surgeon.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Question About Gap and Cleavage?

+1

As you seem to understand, if the breasts are widely separated before surgery, they will also be so after surgery. 

In some patients, as the pectoral strap pushes the implants down, it may also push them out. Discuss with your surgeon whether you really need them, and if it is ok to use a surgipad (gauze) as a block to help hold the lateral position of the implants in place.

Thank you for your question, and best wishes.

Concerns about "Gap" And Cleavage after Breast Augmentation?

+1

You are correct in that it is not generally possible to decrease the gap between the breasts surgically.  In other words,  the natural space between the breasts should be maintained with breast augmentation surgery and the breast implants should be positioned centered below the nipple/areola complexes.

I think that you will find that it will do no harm to use the tight bra and/or strap;  on the other hand, the use of these devices will not necessarily change the end results of the surgery. You may find that as postoperative swelling results, the depth and appearance of the cleavage area will improve with time.

For more precise advice/recommendations, discuss your questions/concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Gap is probably ok immediately after breast implants

+1

It takes time for the muscle and skin to stretch (months), so it's too early to tell. There isn't much you can do to change the position of your implants after surgery, and you may not want to change the position if they are properly positioned already. The upper strap will keep them from moving up too high, keeps the muscle from swelling, and sometimes help with comfort. The bra does the same. Keeping the bra tight will probably do no harm and may help keep them from migrating to the sides too much, but overall doesn't do much either.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon