How many surgeries would a physician have to complete to be considered an expert?
What Question to I Ask to Find the Rhinoplasty Expert for Me?
Doctor Answers 15
How to pick a rhinoplasty surgeon
This is a difficult question with different ways to look at it. First, you want to choose a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Commonly, those plastic surgeons who are most interested in cosmetic surgery are also members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons. The number of procedures a surgeon has done is only a part of the story. You want to look at before and after photos and perhaps talk to a patient of the doctor's. Try to get a good feel for the office and the staff to see if it is comfortable and caring. If you feel rushed to commit, that may be a bad sign. Two or maybe 3 consultations would be advisable in many cases to see what opinions different surgeons may have. Good Luck!
How to finf a rhinoplasty surgeon.
I wrote this article about how to pick a plastic surgeon. I hope you find it useful.
1) Is the surgeon a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery? Members usually do a lot of cosmetic surgery.
2) Did you sense a commitment to excellence in the office. Did the surgeon spend a lot of time with you? Someone who rushes through the consultation may rush through the surgery.
3) Were you treated as an individual? Did the surgeon present you with a surgical plan tailor made for you?
4) Plastic surgeons have to have a good eye and meticulous technique. Did the surgeon show you A LOT of before and after pictures, and did you love the results?
5) Talk to other doctors you know. Established plastic surgeons have a reputation in the community, good or bad.
6) Ask to speak to a patient who has had a rhinoplasty. You are looking for a surgeon who does a lot of what you want. Many patients are eager to share their experience. Privacy is preserved by having the patient call you.
7) With office surgery, make sure the surgical facility is ACCREDITED. Very important safety assurance.
8) Make sure the anesthesia is given by a BOARD CERTIFIED ANESTHESIOLOGIST. Another very important safety factor.
9) Make sure the office has trained nurses available for hands-on post operative care. This can really speed recovery.
Quality and expertise in a rhinoplasty surgeon.
You might also like...
When looking for an "expert" rhinoplasty surgeon, it is more than just the number of surgeries they perform. However, experience does matter and the surgeon's volume can speak to that. In general, I think that if a surgeon performs in excess of 100 rhinoplasty / septorhinoplasty surgeries a year, they would have the requisite experience to get nice results. Also seek out people who have good experience in revision rhinoplasty.
Rhinoplasty is indisputably the most difficult of plastic surgery operations secondary to the complex anatomy of the nose. A surgeon needs to be able to balance the form and function of the nose. In other words, a nose that looks good but breathes poorly is a result of a failed operation.
You want to avoid surgeons who "dabble" in nasal surgery. There are scores of surgeons who perform less than 10 or 20 a year. A good place to start in order to find surgeons with great experience in nasal surgery would be the American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery website. Lastly, you should meet face-to-face with your prospective surgeon and get multiple consultations if necessary. I hope that helps. Take care, and good luck finding your surgeon.
How to Choose a Rhinoplasty or Nose Job Surgeon
Referral is one way to find a surgeon.Ask your family, friends and coworkers for a referral.You can also ask your primary care physician.You can do a search for rhinoplasty surgeons on line and right here on RealSelf is a good way to look for rhinoplasty surgeons in your area. You should then look at the surgeon’s credentials on sites like the American Board of Surgery or the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons.After that you should look at pictures or before and after photos.The most important photos are the ones that look like you before in terms of your nose shape.After that evaluate the results or the after photos to see if you like the surgeon’s work.Another great way to see if they do great work is to look at the surgeon’s revision rhinoplasty results.If people are going to the surgeon you are evaluating for revision surgery, you know they must be good since revision surgery is even harder to do and get great results from than rhinoplasties alone.In other words, does the surgeon do botched rhinoplasty repairs.
I hope that helps.
Finding an expert rhinoplasty surgeon
You should seek several consultations from board certified plastic surgeons or facial plastic surgeons (ENTs) to see what options are available for you. It can be very challenging to find the right surgeon for you, especially when considering rhinoplasty. Although the internet has a lot of useful information, there can also be a lot of misleading and confusing information. It is hard for patients to sort out quality work from marketing hype. That being said, it is very important that you do a lot of research-on the internet you need to look at multiple sources to find out who may be the appropriate surgeon for you.
Some of the things to consider are:
1. Is the surgeon board certified in plastic surgery or facial plastic surgery (ENT)
2. How much experience do they have (did they do additional training, how many rhinoplasties have they performed, do they perform rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty frequently)
3. Do they have admitting privileges in a hospital and do they have privileges to perform rhinoplasty in a hospital
4. Do they have any scientific publications (peer-reviewed journal articles, medical textbooks) describing their experience performing rhinoplasty
5. Do they teach rhinoplasty to other peer surgeons (do they have a University affiliation/Faculty position, are they invited to lecture for other plastic surgeons or facial plastic surgeons).
Once these questions have been answered, you will have a good idea of who is well qualified to perform your rhinoplasty.
Finally, the most important thing is that your goals are in line with your surgeon's goals-the patient and the surgeon need to see eye to eye.
Finding a rhinoplasty expert and questions to ask
Important Rhinoplasty questions
This is an excellent question.
The most important ones to ask are:
- How long have you been doing rhinoplasty?
- Did you serve a cosmetic facial plastic surgeryy fellowship?
- Is rhinoplasty the most common procedure done in your practice?
- Do you perform at least 100 rhinoplasty procedures a year?
You should be able to get the answers to this quite quickly at consultation, or even possibly by phone consultation.
Asking the right questions will shortcut the process and increase the odds you will have the right surgeon.
When you go for consultations, do not forget to have computer imaging, and be sure to see the before-and-after rhinoplasty pictures album.
If the before-and-after album does not have at least dozens of plastic surgery pictures with respectable, natural-looking “afters,” you are probably in the wrong shop.
Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Trust Your Face To A Facial Plastic Surgeon
I would strongly recommend choosing a surgeon that specializes in rhinoplasty. Many surgeons are a "jack of all trades but a master of none". This is especially true of rhinoplasty. Be wary of a surgeon who rarely performs rhinoplasty. Board Certification by The American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery is preferred, as these surgeons have spent their entire career specializing in Facial Surgery. Look at lots of before and after pictures to see if you like the work of the surgeon. See several surgeons to get multiple opinions. Warmsest regards.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.