Possible to Correct Droopy Nasal Tip Without Messing with Nasal Bone?

I'm not interested in fixing the slight bump in my bridge, as it does not bother me. I am, however, very unhappy about the tip of my nose. It bends down, and I feel that it's too bulbous for my face. I am interested in fixing the angle of the tip in order to create a refined, straighter nose, but I don't want to mess with the bone. Is this possible? How long would the procedure/recovery take? I should also mention that my nasal turbinates are chronically swollen.

Rhinoplasty to correct droopy nasal tip

+1

In the rhinoplasty procedure it is very rare whereby a tiplasty can be performed without addressing the rest of the nose. It is important to lift the tip, but when that is done it must balance with the remainder of the nose. Sometimes the bridge has to be pared down to balance with the new tip and when that happens often times the nasal bones have to be broken. Find a surgeon you trust and communicate with well. Any septal deviation, turbinate issues or nasal obstruction can be addressed at the time of your rhinoplasty. This is typically billed to a medical insurance company and is not considered cosmetic.

Limited Tip Rhinoplasty

+1

Tip work can be done without touching the bridge. Rhinoplasty surgery should always be individualized to satisfy the desires and needs of each patient. Surgery will take about an hour. After one week, you will be comfortable in your personal and professional environmment.

Limited or tip rhinoplasty

+1

The good thing about your concern is that it can be done with even less down time for healing.  As you can see from other posts, you can very easily do just the tip refinements.  The specifics are discussed and outlined with your surgeon at the time of your consult.  But that correction, done with either an open approach, or an endonasal approach, rarely causes bruising (its the nasal bridge steps that usually causes bruising).  Same thing goes with the turbinate surgery, which can give you some degree of permanent improvement with short healing requirements and no outward bruises.  We do steps that involve these structures on most rhinoplasties, so doing something described as "Limited" means less surgery, but not inappropriately unbalanced or inexperienced surgery. 

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correction of the droopy nasal tip.

+1

Both the droop and the bulbousness of the tip can be corrected without doing anything to the nasal bones. Your recovery would be a week. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for a complete discussion of YOUR goals, not his.

Rhinoplasty can correct only the tip

+1

Rhinoplasty surgery is individualized to each patient and may correct only those areas that are of concern to the patient, such as the bridge of the nose or the tip. All the different parts of the nose are interconnected so you need to discuss with your surgeon what is possible and what results you may expect. Recovery is usually 2 weeks or less, and the turbinates may be addressed at the time of cosmetic nasal surgery.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

What's involved in a Correcting the Tip of the Nose (Tip Rhinoplasty)

+1

Regarding: "Possible to Correct Droopy Nasal Tip Without Messing with Nasal Bone?
I'm not interested in fixing the slight bump in my bridge, as it does not bother me. I am, however, very unhappy about the tip of my nose. It bends down, and I feel that it's too bulbous for my face. I am interested in fixing the angle of the tip in order to create a refined, straighter nose, but I don't want to mess with the bone. Is this possible? How long would the procedure/recovery take? I should also mention that my nasal turbinates are chronically swollen."

Nose Surgery (Rhinoplasty) is the most customized of all Cosmetic Surgery operations. Since every nose is different, no one procedure can address every nose in the world. As a result the surgeon and patient need to agree on what will be done and the surgeon utilizes those procedures intended to get that look.

It is absolutely possible to only refine the tip of the nose. This is terned a TIP RHINOPLASTY. In your case the lower lateral cartilages would be refine, put together in symmetrical fashion creating a more attractive nose tip complex and the tip can be repositioned higher with either suture suspension on the septum or an umbrella graft to hold it. All this can be done without breaking the bones.

If the chronic swelling of the turbinates is not caused by a reversible allergy, they may be made smaller at the same time by one of several potential procedures your surgeon can discuss with you.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Nasal tip can be corrected by itself

+1

The appearance of the nose is a personal and individual consideration.  If you want to correct just the nose tip then you should discuss this with your surgeon.  A tip rhinoplasty is designed to do just what you have requested.  Your nasal tip can be modified to accomplish the look you want.  You have to remember that the final result of a tip rhinoplasty takes 10 to 12 months to fully manifest.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Possible to Correct Droopy Nasal Tip Without Messing with Nasal Bone

+1

Yes it is easily possible but a true rhinoplasty surgeon would point out that the request for a tip or columella revision hampers the surgeon's ability to achieve a great result. Recovery very fast less than a week.