Question About Diameter and CCs when Downsizing?

About a year ago I got size 397cc Style 15 breast implants and am not happy with results. I am having a revision surgery to downsize but am worried that they will end up too big again and also worried about sagging. I am only 23 and my PS said they should be fine without a lift. I am wondering if it is better to get a Style 10 which will keep me closer to the diameter I am now or to stick with style 15. I am going down at least 160 ccs, will that make a difference?

Best size at this point

+1

Without an exam, it is difficult to properly assess the right implant to replace the one you have now.  Downsizing can be a bit tricky.

+1

Figuring out how much to downsize is the hardest sizing decision. Patients without implants can try on sizers. Patients will implants wanting to be larger can add volume of rice in a stocking to the bra as a guide to choosing the right implants.

Women wanting to be smaller with saline implants can have the surgeon partially deflate them the day of surgery as a guide. But not so with silicone.

Photos of a goal size, preferably of someone of your approximate height and weight are useful. 

I agree with the goal of maintaining implant width. so switching to style 10 seems like the best option. 160 cc should be a noticeable change. Anything less than 100 cc would not be worthwhile. 

Hope this helps a bit. All the best. 

+1

Your existing implants are round, gel-filled, Natrelle implants which have a diameter of 13.1 cm.  The style 10 implant at 240 cc has a diameter of 11.7 cm.  Obviously, the new implant is going to have a diameter significantly smaller than the existing pocket.  This can create problems, and can be challenging to correct.  I usually deal with this by reducing the pocket diameter to about 0.5 cm greater than the implant diameter by removing the edge of the capsule and suturing.  Talk to your surgeon about how he/she plans to deal with the issue so you are comfortable with the plan.

Mark D. Ball, MD

Concerns about Breast Implant Size/Profile when Downsizing?

+1

Yes, downsizing by 160 cc in your case will certainly make a visible difference;  whether or not the outcome will be to your liking is hard to determine with online consultation. I think that the key to success will be careful communication with your plastic surgeon.  Spend as much time as necessary communicating your goals; in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures to help with this communication process.  Once you feel comfortable that you have communicated  your goals clearly, allow him/her to use years of  experience to select the breast implant size/profile that will best achieve your goals. In my practice, these types of decisions are often made intraoperatively after the use of temporary sizers.

Breast implant downsizing

+1

First, it is usually necessary to go down at least 100 cc's to see a difference.  Second, unless the current implants are too wide for your chest wall, it is a good idea to stay about the same diameter and go down to a lower profile projection implant.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS