If I Am a Diabetic is It Safe for Me to Get a Tummy Tuck?

Well controlled diabetes is not a contraindication to tummy tuck surgery and/or other elective plastic surgical procedures. Always best to check with your primary care physician or endocrinologist for “medical clearance” prior to surgery. Managing your diabetic medications around the time of surgery (to avoid hypo as well as hyperglycemia), while you will have altered oral intake, will be important. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Diabetes and Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your post. Diabetes is a disease that should demand a healthy respect from both surgeon and patient in plastic surgery. It is a disease that affects the immune system and can increase the risk of infection, a disease that affects the healing potential of a wound and can cause opening of a wound, and is a disease of the circulation that can lower the blood flow to the operated tissue and cause necrosis or tissue death. This needs to be managed as follows:

1. Tight blood glucose control with diet, exercise, and medication. You need to see your internal medicine doctor regularly and make sure your diabetes is well controlled.
2. If you are overweight, then losing weight decreases your risk in tummy tuck surgery or any other surgery for that matter.
3. If you have high blood pressure, this needs to be managed and well controlled by your internal medicine doctor as well.
4. ABSOLUTELY NO SMOKING!
5. Consider with your surgeon HyperBaric Oxygen therapy pre- and post-op.
6. Make sure you understand from your surgeon and anesthisiologist what medications you should take or not take prior to surgery.

It is very possible to have a great outcome as a diabetic following tummy tuck surgery, but minimizing the risk is the most rational way of accomplishing this.

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

If your sugars are extremely well controlled and you understand your risk of wound healing problems no matter what is high than yes you could still have a tummy tuck

Tummy Tuck

This is a question for the doctor who manages your diabetes.  They should talk with your surgeon and develop a plan for you and your disease.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Probably Safe For Diabetic

If you are otherwise healthy and your diabetes is well-controlled (as indicated by your hemoglobin A1C), it is probably relatively safe for you to have a tummy tuck.  There are always risks involved with all surgeries even with extremely healthy patients.  If your diabetes is not well-controlled, it would be advisable to postpone your surgery until you are better controlled.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Tummy tuck in Diabetics

Having diabetes doesn't prohibit you from the surgery.  Rather, your risk on infectious complications is slightly higher.  Help avoid this by carefully regulating your blood sugar three months prior to surgery.  Check your hemoglobin A1C.  If this is in the normal range then I would assume it to be safe for surgery.

Make sure you discuss your diabetes with your surgeon and anesthesia to help avoid complications.

Michael L. Spann, MD
Little Rock Plastic Surgeon

Diabetes safety with surgery

Well controlled diabetes is not a contraindications for surgery but make sure to get medical clearance from your endocrinologist first.  Best of luck...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

Diabetes and Tummy Tuck

It is safe to undergo a tummy tuck with well controlled diabetes. Understand that wound healing can be affected by diabetes, and that your risk for wound healing complications is slightly higher than average, but it certainly shouldn't preclude you from having the surgery. Make sure to discuss your plans with your endocrinologist or primary care physician as some insulin dosing adjustments will be necessary postoperatively. Best of luck.

Derek Lou, MD

Could a diabetic pt undergo a tummy-tuck?

Diabetics can undergo a tummy-tuck. But first you need to make certain that your diabtes is well controlled. You need to see your internist and inform him (her) of your planned surgery. He will obvioulsy check you out and take blood tests. Once you get the clearance, your plastic surgeon needs to be in contact with the anesthesilogist to make sure that your care coordinated. You need to be in your best shape possible. I would also only do youy procedure in the hospital. But given the above I think you should be able to undergo the operation. But diabtes can cause a delay in healing and you need to be aware of this..

George Lefkovits, MD

Diabetes and surgery

Diabetes has some implications for tummy tuck and other surgery.

As long as the diabetes is well controlled and your surgeon and anesthesiologist take adequate precautions, there is no reason not to have surgery because you are a diabetic.

Anindya Lahiri, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon