Crooked Nose Rhinoplasty - Still Swollen - Is This Normal?

i had a rhinoplasty 1 month ago ( osteotomy to change my nose's alignement for crookedness and dorsal hump removal), i had mine done 3 days after my friend's rhinoplasty, but he didnt have an osteotomy for crooked nose, we are both males. my recovery seems to be going slower than his, my nose is improving but still seems more swollen, is this normal?

Nasal swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

swelling after rhinoplasty can last 12-18 months. the length of nasal swelling can vary between different people. usually noses stay swollen longer after an open vs closed rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty Result Crooked at Two Months? Problem.

+1

Hi Anon 12356;

At two months after nose surgery, generally 70% to 80% of the swelling is gone.  If the nose is crooked, it is not likely attributable to swelling only.  It may be that the septum is still off-center, and it is time for a very thorough evaluation.  When was the last time you saw your surgeon?  It is important that you be seen frequently in the immediate postoperative period and particularly if it seems like you are "behind schedule."

Generally, the rule of the body is that it takes "100 days" for most operations to

heal.  If you had previous nasal surgery, it might take longer, but typically, at the 100th-day or three-month mark, 85% to 90% of the result is obvious, so at two months it sounds like you may be behind schedule. 

I recommend that you revisit with your doctor for complete evaluation including a very thorough internal nasal examination under topical anesthesia so the surgeon could determine if there has been a shift of the septum causing the crookedness and what reason there might be for inordinate swelling.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEONAuthor, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Original cast member, Doctor 90210

Robert Kotler, MD

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

The duration of swelling and the time necessary to heal after rhinoplasty will vary depending on each individual patient's physical characteristics, such as skin thickness, and what is done during the surgery. Both you and your friend will continue to improve.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling after rhinoplasty can last as long as 3-6 months particularly after osteotomy. You need to wait for longer to see the result. Do contact your surgeon who can prescribe treatment to reduce the swelling.

Sanjay Parashar, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after rhinoplasty

+1

Everyone heals differently and at a different pace for any and all surgeries. It takes a minimum of 6 months to a year to see the final results of a rhinoplasty.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Due to the complex nature of the nose, swelling may take several months to resolve after a rhinoplasty. Most swelling resolves after two weeks. It is important to know that due to swelling there is significant internal and external swelling. This swelling may causes nasal obstruction as well as widening of the nose.Each individual heals differently you can not compare your healing to your friend. I have done surgery on twins and each healed differently.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Straightening a crooked nose.

+1

Straightening a crooked nose is a very challenging operation and one that achieves to create a straighter but not necessarily a perfectly straight nose. In many instances the only way to do this is to "camouflage" with underlying irregularities with a laminar graft. One month is far too early to draw any long term conclusions.

Rhinoplasty recovry

+1

The more that was done, the longer the recovery.  Especially if you had osteotomies and your friend didn't.  Give it 6-12 months of healing as noses recover very slowly.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS