Question About Congential Ptosis with Silicone Rod Vs Autogenous Fascia?

Hello, I had surgery for congential ptosis when i was 14 with a brow suspension and silicone rod. I am now 33 years old, and now staring at a computer monitor for 30 minutes causes great fatigue in the surgically repaired eye and brow area and considering getting it redone with autogenous fasica. My question is, which material is the most elastic so that it looks most natural when blinking. My real concern is that I don't want to look like I am blinking in only 1 eye, like a wink. Thank you.

Silicone Rod Vs Autogenous Fascia?

+1

Thank you for your question. This is a question for your surgeon, as this is not a common procedure, so the list of possible outcomes is not entirely complete.  Autogenous grafts have a good history in other areas of the body, but the eyes are special so different rules may apply.  Ask for some good scientific data on the comparison of the two options, then reach a decision. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Frontalis sling

+1

The material does not usually make a significant difference in regards to your concern.  Synthetic materials have pros/cons and so does using your own fascia.  The fascia can also be obtained from the temporalis muscle, with incision behind the hairline, which is a better option than obtaining the fascia from the leg.  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon