What Implant Size Should I Choose To Look Proportionate?

Hello, I am meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon in November to arrange my breast implant surgery. I was wondering what size implants I should be looking at in order to achieve a proportionate look. I am 5'7'' and around 145 pounds (I am slim..about a size 5 jeans). What size implants would give a proportionate look? Thank you for any help. -Roxi_007

Making Your Breasts Proportionate to your body: Breast Implant Choice

+1
How to Achieve Proportionality. first of all it is best if the surgeon can "see through your eyes" of what you feel is most proportionate as different people have different ideas and that goes for surgeons. Bringing in a photo from a plastic surgeons website that you feel looks proportionate should be your first step.

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape of implant that will make you more proportionate without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be tough to answer your question. For example your native base width of your breast will determine in many cases the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Additional critical decisions will also be made by your plastic surgeon such as: whether your implants will be above or below your pectoralis muscle. These choices are recommended to you based on the look you desire, the amount of sagging you may have, and other deciding factors. I always find it helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. I bring these photos to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to achieve their wishes.
I personally order more than one set of implant sizes and use sterile sizers placed in the pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you. Software morphing programs can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn't work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts).
My advice is to accept advice from your board certified plastic surgeon after a formal consultation and examination with measurements.. If still confused don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

Web reference: https://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/breast/augmentation/

Selecting Breast Implant Size

+1

The actual size of a breast implant, measured in cc's, is really not very descriptive of what a breast augmentation will look like, or what the cup size will be. It is all relative to the size of the breast and the size of the patient preoperatively. A tall, broad-shouldered patient with small A-cup breasts may require 450cc implants to achieve a C-cup breast volume postoperatively, while a shorter patient with medium B-cup breasts may only need a 250cc implant to achieve a C-cup breast volume.

If a natural appearance is the goal, then the way to get the size right is to 'try out' different implant volumes and profiles in the operating room. Once the implant pockets have been created, sterile sizers can be placed in the implant pockets, and the upper half of the O.R. table raised so that the resulting breast appearance can be assessed with the patient in an upright 'sitting' position (chest fully upright) while under anesthesia. These sizers are available not only for each implant size but also for each implant profile: low, moderate and high (in this practice we use high-profile implants only in rare instances). Inflatable sizers are used for saline implant augmentations, and pre-filled gel sizers are used for gel implant augmentations.

For any patient there is obviously a range of implant volumes that would be considered natural-appearing, and a volume at which the upper pole of the breast begins to look very unnatural. While one patient may seek an augmentation that is 'perfectly natural', another may be interested in a result that is more on 'the full side of natural', and many patients do ask that the largest implant volume be selected that does not produce an unnatural fullness in the upper pole. By using breast implant sizers intra-operatively to determine exactly what breast implant profile and volume produces the best breast appearance in the O.R., patients can be provided with the closest possible approximation of their preoperative goals, and can be assured of a natural-appearing result.

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and looking proportionate

+1

I disagree that external sizers are of any value in determining implant size and proportionality. The key to understanding how this works is thinking of it like fitting clothing. Your chest circumference will stay the same and the position and width of your breast will remain about the same if you want to look natural. The width of the implant must match the width of the breast. The forward fill and projection of your breast is what an implant provides and there are at least three forward projections for implants that are gel-filled or saline-filled. In most patients with average breast width for their chest circumference, this corresponds to an increase of 1 to 2 cup sizes. Thus the patient should get a realistic idea of what their current breast size is and figure up 1 to 2 cup sizes (depending on the choice of implant projection) and thus know what size she should look like after. Generally any woman can look proportionate if she is an A, B, or C cup because this in the normal range. D cups and above are out of proportion by definition but a woman might still feel she looks good or is proportionate. This is something only the patient should decide. The "size" of the implant in terms of volume is determined by the width of the implant matching the width of the breast and the forward projection chosen by the patient. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Picking the implants for you

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning

2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. So try these implants in the office to pick which look you like the best.

Hope this helps.  Best of luck

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Show your plastic surgeon pictures of what you want to look like, and let her or him pick the best breast implant size.

+1

Hi.

1)  I really think it is an important part of the surgeon's job to make this decision, which is pretty technical.  Your responsibility is to make sure your surgeon understands what you consider a proportionate look, because this is so personal.

2)  Then, if your surgeon agrees that what you want is wise (anatomically and cosmetically), the best implants can be selected during surgery, using sterile implant sizers.  If the decision is made in advance, then it is just an educated guess.

Breast Implant Sizing Should Be Simple

+1

You have been so smart in choosing a board certified plastic surgeon and then consider how the doctor helps you choose your implant size.

Number 1:  try on implant sizers under a  t-shirt fabric in black.  If you like how your body looks in proportion, them relax.  You have chosen the right size for you,  

* if your doctor does not offer this service, then please  get another opinion  It is so much more accurate for you if you see yourself in the mirror.

Number 2:  but less important in our experience, see yourself in an imaging program, such as Canfield or Axis Three.  What we have found is people are more certain about size when they try on the sizers and look at themselves in clothes.

Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size for proportion

+1

The implant size you select depends on four primary factors:  Your starting size, the size you desire, your breast base width, and compliance of your breast skin envelope.  Choose implant dimensions, not volume.  Width of the implant must roughly match your breast base width.  Projection or profile must increase cup size to the look you desire.  There are caveats, but in general, it is simple, and that's all you need to know.  Your surgeon should help you select the implant style and size that will best meet your needs.

Web reference: http://www.feelbeautiful.com/breast/augmentation-san-diego-ca/

Getting what you want from breast augmentation

+1

Breast augmentation is about getting the look you want, and the look does not have a number. To make the most of your consultation you should prepare with photos which show the hopeful new you, and perhaps a bra that you hope to wear and fill out. You can let the surgeon decide the look for you, even your friends, or your mother, but it is best if you figure this out for you alone.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Selecting a proportionate breast implant

+1

It is difficult to predict what size would be an appropriate implant until you have been examined.  Even based on height and weight, some women may have small tight breasts, others may have breasts that are deflated but with looser skin.   Some have wider breasts with a narrow cleavage and other have narrow breast with a wide cleavage.  That's why when you see your plastic surgeon, she or he will examine and measure your breasts and body dimensions.   Based on these measurements a safe range will be recommended that matches your body dimensions.  Going outside these ranges will give you a less proportionate look and may cause long term harm especially by going too much larger than what is recommended.

Web reference: http://www.drhamawy.com/breast/augmentation-westchester-ny/

Proportionate is Subjective

+1

Good job on choosing a qualified surgeon to have your consultation with, I view this as the most important step to getting what you want. Now proportionate is so subjective, Do you mean matching your hips? Your height? How wide is your chest?, How muscular are you? All of these factors will be discussed with you during your consultation. I hope all goes well for you. I would give an educated guess at 350cc to 425 cc based on your height and weight.:)

Reno Plastic Surgeon