A Question About Belly Button Placement After Tummy Tuck? (photo)

My plastic surgeon has asked me to consider what I want to do about my belly button during tummy tuck--either move it down a couple of inches (as he says they do in Brazil) or have a small vertical scar between the navel and pubic line. I thought that skin could be stretched down enough to avoid that? I've had 4 pregnancies, and while I'm not really overweight (5'8, 140 lbs), there's definitely extra skin and some fat on my abdomen. Does this sound routine?

Belly Button Placement during Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

During the planning phase of the tummy tuck operation, consideration is given to placement of the incision line and umbilicus. These considerations will vary from one patient to another depending on the patient's specific anatomy and goals. For example, if the patient is looking to keep the incision line as low as possible ( hidden in the swimming suit),  then it may be necessary to use a short vertical “incision”  to close the umbilical "opening".  This scar often falls at the  midpoint of the transverse incision.  Whether this additional vertical incision necessary will depend on factors such as “length" of the patient's torso and the amount of redundant skin present.  Exact positioning of the umbilicus will also depend on such factors.

I would suggest that you communicate further with your plastic surgeon so that you have a clear understanding of options that exist in your case.

+1
From your description, it sounds like your options are a floated umbilicus, moved down a couple inches, versus keeping your umbilicus where it currently is anatomically, pulling skin over it, and closing it's native hole in a small vertical slit between the new umbilcus and incision. There are many factors that determine how much skin can be removed, including laxity, how low the incision is placed, amount of liposuction and how aggressive your surgeon is. To answer your specific question: yes, this does sound routine. If you aren't comfortable with proceeding, go meet with your surgeon again to make all of your questions clear, or go get a second opinion. There's nothing wrong with doing your research. Hope that helps.
CDK

Christopher D. Knotts, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon