Question on Bandages for Otoplasty?

I am having otoplasty next week for my lop ears.My doctor informed that both cartilage scoring and some conchal excision will be employed. Dissolvable sutures would be used. I can remove the head dressing it after 3 to 7 days. Follow-up after 1 month. A few qns:Do bandages or sutures determine the final position of the ears? Duration of bandages= permanent outcome? could i wear a loose beanie to hide the bandage? % of recurrence? when do results become permanent? Thank you.

Question on Bandages for Otoplasty?

+1

Removing bandages somewhere between two and five days is quite common. I typically recommend that patients continue to wear a comfortable elastic dressing 24/7 for the rest of the first week following surgery. I also recommend wearing that dressing in the evenings during sleep for the next 5-6 weeks. The gentle compression not only reduces swelling but reduces the risk that the ear will be pulled on or traumatized during sleep. I've had patients who knowingly disregarded this advice and had great results but I feel more comfortable if my patients have a dressing of some type in place at night time during the first six weeks. With regard to the role of the dressing it is there to protect the healing ear. It does not actually determine where the ear heals. This is set by the tightness of the sutures used to shape the ears. You can definitely wear a beanie or cap to help camouflage the presence of the elastic dressing. I hope this information is helpful. 

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon