Question About Appearance? I had Mentor saline implants 330 cc filled to 390 on the left and 400 on the right. (photo)

The surgery went fine. I had a hematoma in my right side which my surgeon drained on 9/10. I am concerned about the unevenness. Do I need to let time just pass for them to settle? I am working very closely with my PS and he is seeing me very regularly.

Asymmetry after evacuation of a hematoma following a breast augmentation

+2

A hematoma even if drained will delay the healing on that side for several months.  Give it time an your asymmetry will likely settle down. 

Hematoma after surgery

+2

Thanks for your inquiry and sorry you got a hematoma-unfortunately they do happen.  My best advice is to continue to see to your plastic surgeon who sounds committed to a good outcome.  You are at greater risk for capsular contracture after having a hematoma. 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

What happens after breast hematoma

+2

After a hematoma the breast will remain more swollen and inflammed for a considerable period of time. If the pocket cleaned up well, over time you can do well, but there is a chance of firmness or capsular contracture after hematoma, perhaps as high as 50%. It may take six months or more to see how your result settles.

Symmetry

+2

Yes, you need to be patient, as you are, and give it time. The hematoma will slow the process on that side, so continue to see your surgeon on a regular basis, and just wait.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Question About Appearance?

+2

The hematoma typically will cause an increase in swelling on the affected side that can persist for a couple of months. Continue to follow up with your surgeon, and yes, you will need to let some time pass.

All the best. 

Asymmetry After Hematoma

+1

Dear M4kids,   The short answer to your question is wait and be patient for now. It is not uncommon for the breast that had a hematoma to take longer to heal and "settle" like the other breast. That being said, your right breast is at a higher risk of developing a capsular contracture and may ultimately require another surgery. It sounds like your surgeon is following you closely and will advise you about your options. Good luck and be patient. 

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon