What Can I Do For Excess Skin From Weight Loss?

I Used to Be 300lbs Im 5'8 and Weigh 155lbs Now I Have a Tremendous Amount of Streatch Marks and Sum Sagging Skin from my Chest to my knees how much does it cost to take care of it.

Cost considerations for body contouring surgery and body lifts

+1

What do I do for Sagging Skin?

Congratulations on your weight loss! It is difficult to give you advice without any pictures to go off of. Further prices vary geographically, by hospital and surgeon's experience.

Prices will differ depending on who you see and what the specifics of the surgery are, so I would recommend that you speak to a board certified surgeon about the costs associated with these procedures. Best of luck to you.

Body Contouring after Major Weight Loss

+1
  • Losing almost half of your weight is quite an accomplishment!
  • It is very common after losing so much weight to notice excess skin of the arms, chest, abdomen, back, and thighs. 
  • Unfortunately, no amount of exercise will improve this, but you may be a good candidate to undergo an arm lift, chest contouring, tummy tuck or lower body lift, as well as thigh lifts. 
  • Prices differ from surgeon to surgeon and may be dependent to some extent on where you live.  Definitely meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to find out what operations could benefit you and what the costs would be. 
  • Best of luck to you!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Treatment of Excess Skin after Weight Loss

+1

You may want to consider a body lift procedure.  Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation).  A physical exam would be needed to make any recommendations.  Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Treatment of excess skin after massive weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss -- you are now significantly healthier!

Once you have lost the weight, your skin will sag and there will be residual stubborn pockets of fat -- it is variable for every person.  There are lots of procedures to tighten up your "birthday suit" -- but each has to be determined by a physical exam.    In essence, we can tighten and remove excess skin and fat from virtually any part of your body -- but each operation will require lengthy incisions (with concomitant scars).  You have to accept the scars as a trade-off for a tighter and trimmer body.  There is, unfortunately, no other way to do it.

Recommend you make up a list of priorities and then discuss with an experienced plastic surgeon.

Elliot Jacobs, MD

New York City

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD

Plastic surgery options after weight loss

+1

Thank you for the question.  There are a variety of plastic surgery options to correct the excess skin that often results from significant weight loss.  These can be categorized by the area of the body as following:

Breast: male breast reduction, breast lift, breast augmentation

Upper back/bra area:  Wedge resection upper back lift, Bra Line Back Lift

Lower back/buttock: Lower body lift/buttock lift, fat grafting (Brazilian buttock lift)

Arms: arm lift/brachioplasty

Inner thighs:  thigh lift

Outer thighs: lower body lift

Abdomen:  abdominoplasty with or without fleur-de-lis

Face/neck: face lift, neck lift, fat grafting

The cost of these procedures vary from one surgeon to another and based on the area of the country.  I would estimate that a lower body lift (tummy tuck and buttock lift) would be in the 20K range.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. Sagging skin occurs to some extent in almost all massive weight loss patients, and various surgical procedures are available to correct these, including:

• Male chest lift
  • abdominoplasty or belt lipectomy (all the way around the back)
  • Thigh lift

Fees vary geographically, and from doctor to doctor. The biggest variable may be how extensve each part of the surgery needed. may be.For example the simplest tummy tuck may require an hour of operating time, a complex one may take 4 hours. Fees will of course vary.

Best bet is a consultation with a plastic surgeon. RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes 

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Reconstructive surgery following weight loss is an option to look forward to. In my past, staged procedures( tummy tuck, breast, facelifts, thighs) have given excellent results. The costs vary in different geographical areas all depending on how much surgery you want done at once.Consult a board ceetified plastic surgeon in your area.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD (retired)

Body Contouring After Weight Loss

+1
Thank you for your question and congratulations on your  weight loss.  Body contouring after weight loss is a subspecialty of plastic surgery focusing on the more complex body contouring procedures in patients with a lot of skin laxity.  The chest is typically treated with liposuction or a mastopexy which is skin excision.  The upper back is treated with an upper body lift. The abdomen is treated with a tummy tuck alone or a tummy tuck as part of a body lift. The body lift is the work horse procedure as it allows for correction of the abdomen, anterior thighs, lateral thighs, buttocks, and flanks.   The medial thighs require either a traditional or extended thigh lift.  A mons reduction is used to reduce the pubic bulge and buttock augmentation can be performed as part of a body lift.   I would recommend an in person consultation with an experienced body contouring surgeon to discuss staging and financing options. All the best.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

+1

If your primary concern is the front of your body, a tummy tuck may cost $7000 on the low end.  If you want something done with your chest, this will depend upon the complexity of that.  I would recommend that you meet with a few plastic surgeons to address all of your issues and then formulate a plan.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA