What About Exercise and Supplements After Breast Augmentation?

Hello, I recently had a breast augmentation done on August 5th, 2013 with an amazing recovery with little painor discomfort. I'd like to start getting into shape and sitting for the last few weeks isn't helping! I know everything says to take it slow, but realistically what kind of exercises can I do? I don't plan on any arm/ peck work outs of course. Also I was taking a dietary supplement a few months before surgery and I was wondering if it would be ok to start to take again.

What exercise and supplements can I take after breast augmentation

+1

Congratulations on your breast augmentation!  Sounds like you are doing well and had a easy recovery.  I typically ask my patients to not take any supplements 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks post surgery, diet supplements off for 1 months prior and 1 month post.  As for exercise, I'm sure you want to get back into your routine, but you need to take it easy.  I ask my patients to take it slow and gradually increase activity levels as time goes on while listening to your body, meaning don't push yourself.  You can go back to most of your regular activity at around 4 weeks.  Any heavy lifting, running on pavement or yoga, I would wait 6-8 weeks.  Definitely consult with your surgeon before starting any supplements or exercise routines for an OK.  Most importantly, although you feel great, you don't want to risk un-doing your results because of starting a work out too soon.  ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

I advise my patients to stop taking dietary supplements for at least two weeks prior to surgery and obtain for two weeks post surgery.  As far as exercising goes, do not work your  upper body for at least six weeks.  You don't want those muscles to pull your implants laterally. As far as other work outs, waiting two weeks to get your heart rate up is recommended. Wear a very good, supportive sports bra. Ask your surgeon what his or her recommendations are regarding these subjects.

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Exercise following breast augmentation

+1

Always contact your board certified plastic surgeon and ask about specific post operative restrictions and instructions. Most surgeons provide these in written form and it is important to follow them.  Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after a breast augmentation

+1

I generally have my patients refrain from exercises that cause the breasts to bounce up and down for the first 6 weeks.  Light exercise is fine,  walking on the treadmill, elliptical, light weights (less than 20 pounds) is fine.  There is no harm taking your vitamin supplements and restarting them at any time.  

Exercise after breast augmentation

+1

I usually have patients avoid aerobics fro 3-4 weeks and usually allow them to work out vigorously bey 6-8 weeks. Best to ask your surgeon.

+1

Thank you for your question. It is nice to hear that you have had a good experience so far following breast augmentation. Many surgeons vary in their guidelines for activity or exercise following surgery. For my patients, I typically start early motion with stretching exercises immediately following surgery. For the first 10 days, I want them to avoid any aerobic exercise, since this can increase the risk of bleeding , swelling and bruising. I then permit low impact exercises, like spinning, for the next 10 days, and full activity based on their comfort at 3 weeks. I also advise my patients to avoid heavy pectoralis exercises for 6 months ( like push ups and bench presses ) since this can cause lateral displacement of the implants. 

Regarding supplements, I generally advise my patients to resume all medications and supplements the day following surgery. Of course, you should always check with your surgeon since their guidelines may differ. Good luck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Ask Surgeon About Exercise/Supplements After Augmentation

+1

You should always address questions about when to resume exercise and other activities as well as when to resume supplements to your surgeon.  He/she is most aware of exactly what was done at the time of surgery and accordingly is best able to answer these questions.

John Whitt, MD

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure; based on your description, you seem to be doing very well.

Always best to check with your own plastic surgeon prior to resuming exercise and or supplements. He/she will know exactly what operation was performed, how you are progressing, and is ultimately responsible for your care.

Generally, most patients are able to resume lower body exercise and/or stationary bicycle exercise at your stage of recovery.   Upper body exercise/lifting usually resumes 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively. Assuming the “dietary supplement” is safe in general, resumption is usually not a problem either.

Again, best to check with your plastic surgeon for more precise/relevant advice.