Can Only a Quarter of Restylane Be Purchased and Used?

I am on a budget and skeptical of the results dermal fillers provide also, I don't believe I need very much of the product. I would like to have restylane injected in the tear trough area. If I am pleased with the results I will most certainly follow up with maintenance procedures. I have not heard of problems with letting the product gradually dissolve on it's own. I am scared however of looking like Rocky and dissolving the product prematurely.

Using Partial Syringes of Fillers

+2

Thank you for the great question. In general, patients are encouraged to use all of the purchased product at the time it is opened. Product is purchased per syringe -- and some fillers, including Restylane, are available in different size syringes (0.5cc, 1cc, and 2cc). Fillers are never shared between patients. FInally, as others have stated, it would be rare for a patient to require less than 0.5cc of Restylane per side for treatment of tear troughs. Best of luck!

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Syringe should be used one time only

+2

I understand your concern with over filling and wish to only purchase the amount of product you want. I would not go to a place that sells a portion of a syringe, with the intention of reusing the syringe. It is not ethical and not safe medical practice. Your best option is to go for a consult and see what is recommended by someone with experience. If you are in the LA area, I or any of my colleagues would be more than happy to see you. Best of luck!

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

+2

I don't know of anyone that offers partial syringes of dermal filler. The risk of keeping partial syringes in stock is not only contamination of the unused product but potentially confusing which syringe was used for which patient. Further, the typical patient requires about two syringes of filler. Even for tear trough treatment, it would be very unusual to achieve a pleasing and durable result with less than one syringe of filler. In my experience, patients who are not totally satisfied with filler treatments are almost universally under-treated as opposed to over-treated. You will likely be best served by waiting a little longer and saving enough for a complete correction of your tear trough. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and less than full syringe use

+2

Hi! I can understand the concern for finances with cosmetic procedures. Unfortunately, it's not safe medical practice to save product. If you are concerned with cost, you can call around to offices to see their smallest amount of product offered and the subsequent cost. I would make sure to have a thorough consult with your injector, as tear troughs are a sensitive area to fill. Best of luck.

Restylane in tear troughs

+2

To ensure the highest safety, I would not divide filler syringes. To put it in perspective, it takes 5 syringes of filler to fill up one teaspoon (5 cc), so you are not going to look like Rocky with one syringe of product placed appropriately under both eyes. I understand budget concerns, but your safety should be your greatest concern. While some practices have defined systems to keep unused portions of filler safe, most do not, which introduces the chance for mistakes. 

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Using a partial syringe of Restylane

+2

The important thing for you to understand is that, if you undertreat, you will not see a result and will feel as though you have wasted your money.  Use of the appropriate amount of product to begin with will enable you to have maintenance treatments that are much less expensive. In the tear troughs, you will likely need a full syringe.  Remember that it is divided between two eyes!  Dermal fillers can produce excellent results but it is also important to seek out an experienced injector, who is board certified in plastic surgery or dermatology.  One syringe will absolutely not make you look like Sylvester Stallone.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

No photos. Your premise of what you need may be wrong!

+2

If you are skeptical and on a budget, I strongly advise you not to spend your money on fillers.  Honestly fillers are a luxury item not a necessity.  If you go into the situation and force your doctor to do a treatment that is not right for you because you basically can't afford the right treatment, I can guarantee that you will be disappointed with service confirming your skepticism.  If you are not prepared to get the treatment that is recommended to you, don't blame the product or the doctor.  These services are amazing but only if you get what you need.  Can't afford to get what you need?  Getting half or a quarter of what you need is a formula for disappointment.

Can Only a Quarter of Restylane Be Purchased and Used

+2

I agree with Dr Ruecki TOTALLY! But understand the fee for 0,5 cc of filler is higher than the 1 cc per volume. 

Can less Restylane be purchased and used

+2

Restylane is only purchased by the syringe. You cannot purchase less of a syringe or anything like that, and any injector letting you do this would be at risk for license loss, as each syringe is single-use only. Now, with that said, there is a smaller size syringe of Restylane available which is a .5ml, or 1/2 the size of the most common syringe size which is 1ml. It is primarily used for extremely small areas like a scar, or for a small touch-up. But if you want to get that size, it is a possibility. Do not expect much of anything as most people need at least 1ml into the tear trough, if not 2ml to that area for significant results.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Restylane partial syringe purchase

+1
Restylane now comes in 0.5, 1.0 and 2.0 cc syringes.  Best to speak with your experienced injector about what your need is and purchase what is appropriate.

Jeffrey Roth, MD