Would I Qualify for Corrective Surgery? (photo)

Over the past several years I've become increasingly self-conscious of my drooping left upper eyelid. I've seen an ophthalmologist and a neuro-ophthalmologist to rule out suspected congenital fourth nerve palsy. They confirmed that I don't have fourth nerve palsy and that it's just asymmetry. I also had a CT done to rule out a mass in or near the orbital cavity. I'd love to get a corrective surgery done but I'm not sure if the outcome will be better or worse. Thanks for your help!

Ptosis Correction

+1

An exam would be needed, but you could likely get an improvement in symmetry.  I do not think it would be a waste.

Ocular asymmetries are usually only cosmetic problems.

+1

A thorough work-up has been done for the asymmetry of the orbits.  I wonder if the scan discovered any bony asymmetry.  In any case, the modest aesthetic problem is not a medical issue.  I doubt insurance would cover correction.

Ptosis from asymmetric face

+1

You do have left upper eyelid ptosis but it is mild and likely related to facial asymmetry. Ptosis surgery to lift your left upper eyelid would be aesthetic in your case. The outcome should be better with better symmetry. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

It looks like you have ptosis (droopy eyelid) of the left upper eyelid.  You need an Oculoplastic surgery work-up to see what the cause of your ptosis is and to see if it affects your vision.  Once that is done, it will be possible to answer your question as to whether you "qualify" for corrective surgery.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Would I Qualify for Corrective Surgery?

+1

You had the complete work up and found there is NO medical cause for your eyelid asymmetry. It is anatomic in nature and thus not a "corrective" operation but a cosmetic one. Thus you will have to pay for the operation. Seek more in person opinions.