Who is Best Qualified to Do Repair After Mohs for BCC (Infiltrative) in the Middle of the Eyebrow?

I am a 51 year old female who has been recently dx with BCC i(infiltrative type) n the middle of my eyebrow. The lesion extends above and below the brow area. Since I am not experiencing any vision problems, would it be appropriate to use a plastic surgeon as opposed to an ocularplastic surgeon?

Choosing Surgeon for Mohs Surgery Repair

+1

Thank you for your question. Either, including a Mohs Fellowship Micrographic Surgeon (specially trained dermatologist), would be great choices for this location. The benefit of Mohs vs. the other traditional surgeries, is that it is typically known prior to closure, if the tumor is cleared or not, and that margins are free of tumor prior to closure. That said, any of the above types of surgeons would be excellent choices. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Plastic surgeon for reconstruction

+1

The best person to use is the one you feel most comfortable with. The plastic surgeon is very capable of reconstucting the most complicated of facial,eye and eyelid defects.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Choosing a Reconstructive Surgeon

+1

Choosing a surgeon to repair the skin after Mohs surgery does not have to be a daunting task. Regardless of the location of the operation, between eyebrows or elsewhere, fellowship trained Mohs surgeons, plastic, facial plastic and oculoplastic surgeons are all trained in and employ similar techniques to repair the skin. Experience matters and finding someone you are comfortable with is also extremely important. Ask the physicians how comfortable they are repairing skin defects in this area and how much experience they have with these types of surgeries. You can also ask to see examples of their work as many surgeons keep before and after photos.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Reconstruction After Mohs Surgery

+1

Best option is to meet with different doctors and discuss their training, experience as well as the procedure itself. Find out how much reconstruction the doctor does; have they published articles related to reconstruction; do they teach others reconstruction at local universities or at academic meetings; look at before and after pictures but understand that other patients' before and after results do not guarantee the same result for you. A board-certified plastic surgeon or a fellowship-trained Mohs surgeon or perhaps a facial plastics surgeon (i.e. ENT doctor with additional fellowship training) would probably be the best options. Talk to the doctor and talk to other doctors in the community. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD