Who is more qualified to do my liposuction: dermatologic surgeon or plastic surgeon?

I had a consult with a plastic surgeon and a dermotologist and they both claim to be liposuction specialists.The dermotologist said when they perform the procedure its safer and they pioneered the procedure?The plastic surgeon said only plastic surgeons are qualified. Whose right and what gives?

Dermatologist vs plastic surgeon

+3

My patients appreciate our ability to tell them when liposuction is best, and when lifts are best (i.e. tummy tucks).

Since we perform many of each, we have no stake in which procedure is performed other than what is best for the patient.

Patients should always have the confidence when talking to their doctor that he is properly counseling them on the correct options of the procedures, not pushing one procedure or another.

The results are what matter

+2

Why bother if both can give you the results you want. I think you need to focus on what you want rather than on a history question. There is no doubt that dermatologist contributed to liposuction procedure. There qualified dermatologist just as much there qualified plastic surgeons.  I say go with whoever you feel comfortable with.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Both Dermatologic Surgeons and Plastic Surgeons are Qualified to perform Liposuction.

+2

Both Dermatologic Surgeons and plastic surgeons are qualified to do liposuction procedures and both can do a good job but who will do a better job for you needs other factors to be considered. Anyone who spends the major part of their practice on liposuctions will as a general rule have more experience and expertise in the latest techniques that give the best results. It is true that Dermatologic Surgeons invented the Tumescent Technique of Liposuction and uses the Micro Canulas to give the smoothest results.  Plastic surgeons who use this method can also be good as well at liposuctions.  Even if someone uses a different method and does that technique alot with good results, they can be good at liposuction.  Both docs are going to be board certified in their basic specialties so saying that only a board certified plastic surgeon or Board Certified Dermatologist are the best for liposuction, doesn't give much credentials for liposuction if that is their ONLY claim to fame or bragging rights. You also need to have a good repoire with your doc, see a lot of great before and after photos, and above all feel comfortable in that your doc will be there for you the whole way through your experience.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Who is more qualified to do Liposuction: A Plastic Surgeon or a Dermatological "surgeon".

+1

According to the American Board of Medical Specialty the only "plastic surgeons" are those that are Boarded by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Anyone can call themeslves a plastic surgeon, cosmetic surgeon, or dermatological surgeon but none other than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon has had the debth of surgical knowledge to perform cosmetic surgery on a patient, other than a Board certified plastic surgeon.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Liposuction by plastic surgeons and dermatologic surgeons

+1

Both specialties have liposuction as a procedure that is in the curriculum for training in residency.  There are many physicians of both specialties that have performed this procedure safely and with great results.  You need to see an experienced physician with whom you have a good rapport and who has a good reputation in your community.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Plastic Surgeon vs. Dermatologist for liposuction

+1

While I would be the first to admit my opinion is biased because I'm a board certified plastic surgeon and have done thousands of lipo cases, and recognizing that some dermatologists and some ENT specialists and some oculoplastic surgeons have also had some lipo experience, it is my opinion that as a general rule the American Board of Plastic Surgery board certified surgeon is your best choice.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

+1
The unique advantage that a plastic surgeon has is that they can perform all body contouring procedures and thereof can offer all of the options that a patient could need. If you can only perform liposuction then a dermatologist may try to get all patients to have that procedure when many might be best served by and abdominoplasy

David L. Abramson, MD

+1

As you see each specialists thinks they are the more qualified from reading the previous responses. I look at this simply, which specialists can decide and preform the "correct" surgical option for you? Whether it is only liposuction or an excisional procedure (like a mini tummy tuck), or both! You guess it -- the boarded PLASTIC SURGEON. Just saw a 2 year post liposuction of the abdomen done by a non surgeon. The problem, hanging wrinkled lower abdominal skin. She was never a candidate for lipo alone, but the specialists "thought" (did not have experience enough to say no), the Lipo would work. Hope you got my point. 

Liposuction is surgery

+1

There is a lot of misinformation out there about liposuction but the important thing to keep in mind is that it is surgery. Even though the skin incisions are tiny, the volume of tissue affected can be large, just like any other surgical procedure. When people emphasize the safety of tumescent technique, which is popular among dermatologists, they compare to old data about general anesthesia. However, most procedures are probably done with monitored intravenous sedation and some version of tumescent, so it's a false argument. What's more, there is the potential for lidocaine toxicity when trying to do too much under tumescent so the safety question ultimately comes down to the judgment of the surgeon and whether or not the procedure is being done in anaccredited surgical facility.

Richard Baxter, MD

Plastic Surgery is a 3-Dimensional Specialty

+1

You have asked a loaded question and from your experience, you can see that there are "turf" battles in medicine and surgery.   There is no doubt that your board certified plastic surgeon is more qualified to perform your liposuction.  Why?  Because we know how to operate on the entire human body, from the skeleton, muscle, fat, skin, and just about everything in between.  Plastic surgeons can treat the human body as a 3-dimensional structure and dermatologists treat the skin in 2-dimensions.   The plastic surgeon has the technical know-how and experience to build the "house" from the ground up, not just "paint" it.   Most importantly, it is the plastic surgeon who will know how to "fix" your issues should there be a problem or complication.     

Charles K. Lee, MD