Q-tip Cleaning After Open Rhinoseptoplasty?

I cleaned a dried booger out of my nose with a q-tip 10 weeks after surgery. Any chance I could of hurt the graft work? I did not think I was rough but I feel like the appearance of my nose changed some. Thank you for you response.

Cleaning Nose With Q-tip At 10 Weeks Post-op

+2

Using a Q-tip to clean a dried nasal secretion out of your nose at 10 weeks post-op should not affect the results of your surgery but if you were not careful enough and if the nasal secretion is "over-dried" then nasal bleeding could occur.

With that perspective, it is recommended that you keep your nasal mucosa fairly moist; usually a saline nasal spray would do the job.

Therefore, I recommend that you have your surgeon in the loop of your recovery process and what is bothering you after your surgery as he/she knows the full details of your procedure.

The best of luck to you.

Thank you for your inquiry and congrats on your rhinoplasty.

Dr. Sajjadian

+2

Ten weeks out is highly unlikely that you harmed anything. If you had work done on your turbinates then they can be very dry and need lots of moisture. This can lead to crusting and bleeding if you do not keep things moist. If you did not have turbinate work done you can still have dryness with blood clots. Make sure you pass this on to your surgeon, but I would be surprised if you harmed any of the structures.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Cleaning after rhinoplasty

+2

The q-tip can be a dangerous thing after rhinoplasty, not so much as changing the shape but causing a bleed. At 10 weeks, you should be safe from harm, but a saline nasal spray used daily is the more gentle approach.

Hello

+2

10 weeks post-surgery you are ok to clean your nose. Your bones and tissue are as strong as before. Make sure you are not too rough and that you do not get bump on your nose. Make sure you follow up with your surgeon to assure everything is ok.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Post Rhinoplasty Cleaning of Nose

+2

Dear Fow, If this means full of worry then please know you should be fine. The best thing to do is go in and see your surgeon for a post operative visit. Your surgeon will be the one that may determine the answer to this question. I do tell my patients to leave the post operative cleaning of their nose to myself or my staff. Leave the q-tips in the bathroom drawer. There is an old saying don't put anything in your nose or ears smaller then your elbow!! I would assume you have caused no real problems for your healing and you may just be seeing the usual post operative swelling that occurs. I hope this is helpful and remember seeing your surgeon for frequent postoperative visits is very helpful in keeping peace of mind and being informed about your recovery! Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Q-tip Cleaning After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hello. After ten weeks your nose is most likely okay, but if you believe that you have sustained any damage you should check with your doctor. The change in appearance of the nose could be due to inflammation of the area resulting from the cleaning. Be sure to keep the area moist to avoid these issues in the future.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD