Is Q-Med Filler Similar to Restylane?

I am considering a purchase of the Q-Med filler online from Sweden. Does this product have the same properties as Restylane? Is it just as safe to use? Thanks.

Don't Do It

+1

In medicine we always hear about how there are other products used in Europe and other areas of the world long before they are used here. The reason for this is that people in our country demand medications that are safe to use. Other countries do not have the same strict criteria that our FDA has and thus they tend to have more problems.

Your second issue is that you'll have to find someone who doesn't care about injecting and illegal substance. We have great fillers here and there's no need to buy an illegal, unproven substance.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

FDA approval

+1

Dear Bluearmy, these products are regulated by the FDA. You can not be sure that this product is the real thing. It may be confiscated at the border. You should have injections done by a Board certified practitioner who can show you that the product they are using is real,

Unfortunately there are a lot of counterfit products and the risk is very high for complications if you have these injected,

With Caution

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

No way is Q-Med filler safe to use. Don't do it!

+1

Restylane is the US-based product produced by Q-Med. If you are purchasing a product online, you won't ever know if it is good or bad, counterfeit or true. Anyone who is selling it online from Sweden (or wherever else you are considering) is potentially giving you bad or counterfeit product and I wouldn't ever trust it.

Furthermore, any (and I mean any) surgeon who would take something from off the street and inject it into a patient's face is not a reputable practitioner. If someone came to my office with a product they just happened to have, I would tell them to go elsewhere as there isn't enough money to force me to inject what might be wallboard paste or something just as bad (even if it is in what appears to be a real Restylane package).

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Q-Med has licensed the filler to Medicis in the US

+1

Q-Med makes several different fillers and does license the rights to Restylane and Perlane to Medicis in the US. I agree with all the comments below concerning safety and outcomes. My favorite saying is "The results don't depend on the filler, but the filler (injector)."

Steven F. Weiner, MD

A really bad way to save money.

+1

Dear Bluearmy

You might actually get the product you have ordered even though this type of importation is illegal. I am not an attorney but my understanding is that the Government is merely confiscating products it finds for personal use shipped this way. I have not hear of criminal prosecutions for this but I am going to guess this is at the Government's discretion.

The problem is how do you know what you are getting. WIll you receive legitimate product or not? Personally I have do ask you if this risk to save a few bucks is really worth it? Once you get the product, who is going to inject you? Remember that getting the right product is only have the service. Placing these products is facial sculpting. Who does the service and how it is done is the most important aspect of these treatments. No ethical doctor is going to treat you with product you have supplied yourself.

Who will inject what you purchase?

+1

This material is the international name for what is called Restylane in the US. The real key is who would be injecting the material. You might save a little on the front end (probably illegal however) but might be very unhappy with the outcome. To me with all of these materials it is more about the injector than the material. I am a strong believer that the injector should be a board certified specialist in either Dermatology , Facial Plastic Surgery, or General Plastic Surgery. Then be sure the injector is experienced and has the ability to recommend and discuss different materials .

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

If you Live in the US Illegal

+1

I believe this is illegal to do if you are an American citizen. You would also have to worry about whether the product is counterfeit.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist