After consultation for a Tummy Tuck, I was informed I had a hernia that needed to be repaired. Do I need to do it separately?

She stated that there is a risk of excessive bleeding if the hernia were to be fixed at the same time she does a tummy tuck. She suggested me having the hernia done separately by a general surgeon, wait 6-8 weeks for recovery and then have the tummy tuck done. I have minimal skin and fat, just ab muscles that have stretched. Is it that dangerous to have both done at the same time? I don't want to put myself at risk but I also don't want two surgeries that have 6-8 week recovery time, or more.

Abdominal hernia repair and tummy tusk at same operation

A plastic surgeon that trained in general surgery is fully qualified to perform common abdominal hernia repairs.  Often the plastic surgeon works with a general surgeon for repairs of complex problems.  The tummy tuck procedure allows good exposure of the muscle wall affording a repair that will limit unwanted placement of scars.  A separation of procedures is rarely necessary. 

9850 Genesee Avenue, Suite 130
La Jolla, CA 92037

Hernia repair at the time of tummy tuck

Thanks for your question,
Hernia can be repaired effectively at the time of tummy tuck. Having done many hernia repairs at the time of tummy tuck, I have experienced many happy patients after the combination procedure.
Best wishes

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

496 Old Newport Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92663

Hernia and tummy tuck combo

Performing a hernia repair at the same time as abdominoplasty can be done safely.  However most plastic surgeons do not feel comfortable doing complicated hernia repairs as an out patient and would prefer a general surgeon do those surgeries.  My rule of thumb is that if I need to reinforce my care pair with mesh then a general surgeon should perform it seperatly and preferably first.  

Chad K. Wheeler, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

530 South Cowley Street
Spokane, WA 99202

Hernia repair at the time of tummy tuck.

I often fix hernias at the time of tummy tuck.  If your hernia is relatively small and in the operative field, I see no reason why you would need two procedures.  Most plastic surgeons have had years of general surgery training and feel comfortable fixing these hernias that are often encountered at the time of a tummy tuck.   If your hernia is fairly large, I would make sure your plastic surgeon and general surgeon discuss your case.  It may be that the hernia can be repaired from the inside out using the scope.

Communication between your doctors in crucial.

Good luck!

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104-3508

It can be repaired at the same time with the tummy tuck and might not cost any extra.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Brazilian Butt Lifts and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

51 SW 42nd Ave
Miami, FL 33134

TT and hernia repair

These are very popular procedure at my practice and patients leave happy after seeing results. To best help you, a physical examination or picture evaluation is required in order o determine which procedures and techniques would be best for you.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Torre 7, José Clemente Orozco 2230 Zona Rio
Tijuana, Baja California 22010

Hernia repair and simultaneous tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. It all depends on the type of hernia you have. If you have an uncomplicated umbilical or ventral hernia then I do not see any significant risk of combining the two procedures and the benefits of one recovery period and one procedure cost are beneficial. Good luck with your surgery.

Mark Deutsch, MD

980 Johnson Ferry Rd.
Atlanta, GA 30342

Consensus on tummy tuck and hernia repair

is pretty clear here... you can do them together BUT it depends on where it is located and how big it is.  In my practice, I no longer do inguinal hernias and would enlist a general surgeon to do that at the same time.  But if you have a belly button hernia AND are willing to 'float' or give up your belly button, I routinely repair these at the same time and keep it strictly cosmetic.  If patients want to involved insurance, its certainly their right to want to but it won't save them anything as they will still get the full cosmetic fee for the tummy tuck.  When they learn of this, everyone simply goes cosmetic.

Curtis Wong, MD

1950 Rosaline Avenue
Redding, CA 96001

Hernia repair with TT

Hernia repair is commonly performed at the same time as a tummy tuck but is mainly dependent on the size and degree of the hernia.  Your surgeons can help guide you.  Getting a second opinion never hurts.  Good luck, 

Gaurav Bharti

Gaurav Bharti, MD
Johnson City Plastic Surgeon

325 North State of Franklin Road
Johnson City, TN 37604

Hernia repair and tummy tuck

They're very opinions of plastic surgeons about hernia repair and tummy tuck it same time. It really depends on your physical exam. I generally like to separate procedures out if it all possible. I would follow your surgeon's recommendations if this is certainly trust.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS, FACS

2220 Wisteria Drive
Snellville, GA 30078