I Keep Putting Pressure on the Splint 6 Days After Rhinoplasty. Now I Am Afraid of Damage, Even with No Pain?

I have been putting light pressure on the splint, on both sides and the front. Today, I felt a small shift and then shift back, but it didn't hurt. I am very afraid now that the results have been ruined by what I've done. I am beside myself and about ready to take the splint off myself and see what I've done. I do know, however, that that is probably just going to make things worse. Someone please tell me I'm going to be ok, and that plenty of people touch their noses after rhinoplasty?

Pressure on nose after rhinoplasty?

+1

If your splint was on and there was no pain, it is possible you did not cause any damage to your nose that will affect your result. I would immediately refrain from putting any additional pressure on the nose, and I would advise you not to attempt to take the cast off on your own. Following up with your surgeon would be the next best step, as he or she will be able to examine your nose and ensure you are healing properly. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Avoid Pressure on Splint After Rhinoplasty

+1

Even without much pain, unfortunately, you can still cause unwanted changes to the shape of the nose by placing pressure on the splint. I hope this is not the case. You should stop placing pressure on your nose immediately. I would imagine this was emphasized to you as part of your preoperative education. As you noted, taking the cast off on your own will almost certainly make things worse (since this should be left to your surgeon). 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty healing

+1

Dear Marvadene,

1. I would avoid touching the splint any more and let it heal on its own
  2. If it did not hurt, then you likely did not harm your results
  3. The cast should be coming off soon anyway, so just be a little patient and then see what it looks like

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD