Could Putting in Internal Stitches in for 1st Ba Hurt the Results

why do doctors not put in internal stitches in when doing a BA the first time. could it mess up the results?

Internal stitches for Breast Aug

+1

As with the other doctors answering this question, I'm not sure what the question is.  Most of us will use internal stitches to close the incision.  That way there is no chance of scarring from the stiches themselves.  If you are referring to stitches in the pocket, that is not necessary in first ba.  If there are some problems with asymmetry, they may have to be addressed with other methods that may include a lift or lowering a crease on one side.  It is difficult to raise a crease with internal stitches in a first time ba. The best way to answer this question is to discuss it with your plastic surgeon in person. Good luck.

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Internal sutures for the first breast surgery?

+1

I don't really understand the question either? Are you talking about internal sutrues for pocket placement or the sutures to close the incision after breast surgery?  I don't think most surgeon's perform internal sutures for pocket correction on the first breast augmentation because  there needs be a capsule for the sutures to be placed in and the capsule forms after many months up to a year after having implants placed.  For the incision (external), sometimes glue is used, sometimes sutures are used, it depends on the surgeon.  I am sorry that I am not more clear, please update the question and I will be happy to answer further if I can.

Breast augmentation

+1

In breast augmentation sutures placed deep to the skin may be placed at different levels for different reasons. Usually these are absorbale sutures that dissolve over time. Those placed under the skin surface allow for earlier removal of skin surface sutures and help prevent separation of the suture line. Those placed in the fat layer can help shift breast tissue over the implant to cover it more uniformly with breast tissue and thereby yield a better looking result. Those placed in the depths of the fold of the breast can be used to reposition the fold when necessary. They can also be used to adjust the pocket size to prevent the implant from shifting out of position.

Deep sutures are powerful tools used to improve results but when placed improperly can obviously mess up the results.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Internal stitches

+1

i think it is routine to place internal stitches.  they could either be to close the fascia or simply to close the wound.  are you having a problem?

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Internal sutures my standard technique for breast augmentation

+1

In closing my incisions after breast augmentation, I routinely put in internal sutures that dissolve spontaneously over three to six weeks.  There are no sutures to be removed.  Steri strips are placed over the incisions and they come off by themselves after a week or so.  There is no need for external sutures which have to be removed.

James Tang, MD

Stitching for breast augmentation

+1

Not sure exactly what the questions is all about, but in general all sutures for closing a breast are placed on the inside.  If you are referring to deeper stitches, they are used if the pocket is over dissected and has to be repaired or if the inframammary fold has to be adjusted for symmetry.

If you are referring to the need to create lift because of drooping, the answer is that internal lifting is rarely successful, except in the most minor of needs.  For significant ptosis a more formal skin lift is used.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Internal stitches are unusual for BA

+1

In a first time breast augmentation, other than the layers of sutures to close the incision, "internal" stitches would be very unusual but maybe you had an unusual problem?  Pictures would have helped.  Ask your doctor exactly what this means.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Internal Sutures for Breast Augmentation

+1

Each surgery has to be individualized to the patient.  If you had asymmetry of your inframammary fold, then your surgeon may have placed some internal sutures to try and achieve a better symmetry.  Without before and after pictures, examining you in person and knowing more about your specific case, it is impossible to give you more specific advice.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Stitches on the inside with breast augmentation

+1

Plastic surgeons have learned that there are some breast augmentation patients whose implants will displaced downward and outwards and will need to undergo revision surgery .  Revision surgery includes placing sutures to close off this opened space in order to keep the implant up where it belongs.  Placing sutures at the time of initial breast augmentation before displacement happens is no guarantee it will not displace.  A large double blind study would need to be conducted to prove that it helps or doesn't help and I am not aware of any such study.  On the other hand there is no reason to believe that placing sutures at time of initial augmentation would in any way adversely affect your results.  The only caution is that a soft braided suture should be used and not a stiff monofilament suture whose cut end could rupture the implant after surgery.  I have seen this happen.  I hope this helps answer your question.  Best Wishes.  Louise Ferland MD FRCSC

Louise Ferland, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon