I Am Putting an Implant in One of my Front Teeth So I Can Put a Crown on Top of It. Future Worries?

My two front teeth do not have enough space to support an inplant. My dentist recommend that I should grind both sides of the teeth, a mm size, to allow for the inplant to be insert in the spot, or removal one of the teeth. Is that ok to grind a very small size from both teeth for the inplant? Would these grinded teeth eventually weaken or loose in the near future? I do not have enough space for the normal inplant because these two teeth are not even on both sides. Instead, the look like a v

Dental Implant to Replace a Front Tooth

+1

A Photo would be helpful in this situation.  This will be speculative since there are no posted photos.  I am assuming the space you are writing about is the space between the crowns of the teeth and not the roots of the teeth.  If your dentist thinks there is not enough space, his concern is that the new crown may not be the same size as the adjacent tooth when restored.  This should not be the case if you have a natural tooth in the space now or if the is a bridge in the space.  If there is a tooth in the space now, and it is proper size, then this should not be a concern.  A CT Scan is not necessary unless you have lost a tooth in the area already and has been missing already.  Even if it was lost already, a good clinical exam by a board certified oral & maxillofacial surgeon will give you the answer.  At any rate slight enamel contouring of adjacent teeth will not weken them if it is only a small amount of removal.  Seek the consultation of a board certified oral & maxillofacial surgeon to give you best answer to your specific situation

Web reference: http://drbdorfman.com

Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Implant on Front teeth worried

+1

I would evaluate it with 3-D cone beam technology.  We have our own machine here at the office and see exactly the space.  There neeeds to be at least 1-2 mm on each side of the adjacent teeth for proper implant placement.  Smaller diameter implants exist and possibly would fit in the space.  If the space is too small, you may want to consider some minor orthodontics to widen the space.  Good luck to you.  Dr. David Frey

Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

Not enough room for Implant

+1

It is generally not a problem to reduce a small amount of enamel from adjacent teeth - but not more than 1/2 mm.  If more space than that is needed, there will likely be a problem with the implant being too close to the roots of the adjacent teeth.  This definitely needs to be determined on an xray.  The best way to creats more space is orthodontic treatment with braces or Invisalign. 

Ontario Cosmetic Dentist

Implant dilemma

+1

It would be easier to make a recommendation if you posted photos.  Have you had a 3D cone beam or Ct scan?  If not then you should not have any plan until you do.  It sounds like you are trying to get an implant into a crowded situation.  if the roots converge towards the root tips then even shaving a little off the crowns might not "solve" the situation.  Likely your best solution is to do braces or invisalign to make sure there is enough space.  You need proper site development.  There are a lot of good docs in LA (Jovanovic, Whorle, etc)  I would do a few more consultations before committing to a plan.  It may be that your best option is an all ceramic maryland bridge.  This doesn't reduce the adjacent teeth because is is bonded to the back of them.  In tight situations we often have to resort to these instead of implants and they yeild excellent esthetic and longevity results.

Washington Cosmetic Dentist