Is It Ok to Put Bacitracin on Nose 6 Weeks After Rhinoplasty?

the skin on my nose is still peeling and i was wondering if this would be ok.

Peeling of the Nose after Rhinoplasty

+2

The nose should not be peeling as a result of the surgery six weeks ago.  This is something that you should address with your surgeon.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Topical antibiotics to treat nasal skin dryness and flaking is not a good choice

+2

Topical antibiotics applied on the skin for more than a short period of time can cause a dermatitis where there is redness, inflammation and an almost allergic reaction. Your best bet to address the dry and peeling skin is to use a good moisturizer that you can tolerate. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Bacitracin six weeks after rhinoplasty

+2

You can use bacitracin if your skin is dry and peeling, however you might be better off with a moisturizer and sunscreen after six weeks.

peterejohnsonmd

Bacitracin on nose post surgery

+2

some peeling is normal, some is not. i would recommend you contact your surgeon, let them examine you and ensure that there is no problem going on.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Peeling

+2

Check with your doctor to see why you are still peeling. I would recommend a good moisturizer instead of what you are using.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

+2

As Bacitracin is a topical antibacterial treatment I would not recommend that option for this problem.  At times, extended use of bacitracin will actually cause irritation to the skin or even colonization with more aggressive bacteria.  A gentle face cleanser will do the job.  It's common that the sterile soap used at the time of surgery creates this peeling effect and it will improve in short order.

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bacitracin on the nose after rhinoplasty

+2

If your nose is still peeling, it may be from the glue like substance that may have been used on your skin to keep the tape and or cast on.  The glue, while serving an important purpose, can cause an irritation until it is completely off your skin.  If that is the case, while bacitracin is not going to hurt you it may not help at all.  Best if you proceed with a gentle cleanser, and facial moisturizer. 

Philip Miller, MD

Peeling after rhinoplasty

+2

Peeling 6 weeks after rhinoplasty is not uncommon.  This possibly can be a result of dry skin, swelling in the nose, reaction to a topical agent, or sun exposure.  Bacitracin after the first 2 weeks is generally not needed.  I would recommend talking with your surgeon to make sure everything is doing well; he may be able to recommend a topical soothing agent or moisturizer to help.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon