I Still Have Pus Coming out of my Belly Button

I had a tummy tuck 2 years ago. I noticed about 6 months after my surgery my belly button started pussing, and about a year later one of the stitches had popped out of my belly button. The surgeon pulled the stitch up and cut it, telling be that should solve the problem, saying that my body was rejecting one of the permanent stitches. I am still pussing, it is yellow ooze that is very unpleasant to the smell. Should I use peroxide to heal it?

Smelly Belly (Button)

+1

AT this point in time it is probably reasonable to return to the orginal surgeon to remove the remaining sutures which appear to be causing the problem.

You have infected stiches.

+1

This is not common but also  not unusual when permanent stitches are used. When you have infected stitches in the lower part of the incision,all of the stitches need to be removed.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Drainging Belly Button

+1

This is not normal, and cleanin it with peroxide is not a solution.  You need to see your plastic surgeon again.  Likely as the other doctors mentioned, you have some permanent sutures that will need to be removed, which will then solve the issue.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Chronic infection in a tummy tuck

+1

This is an unusual problem but can be solved by surgically exploring your wound and removing the remaining infected permanent suture material.  You don't need these sutures for strength (hence why I don't use permanent ones) and the cure to this problem is removal of the infected material.  More than what was done before is needed.  

I personally would inject a little blue dye into the opening you have and it will stain the entire area that needs to be debrided so your surgeon won't leave anything behind and need to do it even another time.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck complication

+1

It is NOT normal to have persistent drainage from the belly button. The fact that one stitch had to be removed already suggests you may have other exposed stitch(es) at the end of a chronic wound tunnel. The wound will not heal as long as these stitches, which are now covered with germs (giving rise to the smell) remain inside. All of them need to be removed and the lining of the tunnel leading to the stitches needs to be surgically removed as well. Peroxide is a waste of time. It will not heal the wound and may make things worse especially if used in a string concentration.

You should return to your plastic surgeon and allow him to help you.