Possible to Push Eyeball Back During a Blepharoplasty?

I had upper/lower bleph surgery done in Jan 2011. I have never had assymetry or one eye more prolific than the other. During my surgery I had some issues with blood pressure.

I can recall the nurse pushing on my left lid with a lot of pressure.It now seems my eyes are slightly uneven - with the right side more open than the left. The right eye looks more "up front" than the left eye which seems a little sunken. Is it possible the doctor pushed my eye back? I don't notice any vision problems

Issues with eyelid after Blepharoplasty

+3

From what you're describing, the nurse was most likely trying to stop bleeding, in the surgical area, during or in the recovery room after your Blepharoplasty.  This bleeding, hematoma in it's worst form, would and could create stretching of the upper eyelid tissues that may lead to asymmetry between the two eyelid creases and how much of the eye each upper eyelid covers.  You could always be evaluated by a plastic and cosmetic surgeon or occuplastic surgeon.

Asymmetric eye appearance after blepharoplasty

+3

It is not likely that pressure on the eye affected the position of the eyeball. More likely, there has been unequal scar formation in the eyelid skin, asymmetric fat removal, or pre-existing but unnoticed upper eyelid droop.

I suggest you meet with your surgeon to discuss your concerns. Ask for a second opinion to be assured of the cause and treatment options for your eye.

Maurice M. Khosh, MD

Eyeball asymmetry

+3

Pushing on an eyeball will not cause it to be asymmetric.

However, surgery on the lower eyelid can either bring out an existing asymmetry (the more forward set eyeball will appear even more forward set if the same procedure on the lower eyelid is done on each side without compensating for the existing asymmetry.

It is possible to camouflage orbital dystopia of this type by selective cheeklifts.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Eyeball position after lower lid blepharoplasty

+2

The eyelid position should not move after routine lower lid blepharoplasty.  If too much fat was removed, it is possible for that eye to move backwards.  More likely, asymmetery seen after lower lid blepharoplasty can be the result of :

• Preexisting asymmetry not detected by patient (look at before pictures)
  • Asymmetric removal of fat or skin

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery--eyeball position

+2

During routine blepharoplasty, it is not possible to change the position of the eyeball in the front-to-back dimension. If you are noticing this, it is either because the change in lid shape or size makes it look like that, or you had a pre-existing difference that you did not notice. Reviewing these issues with your surgeon should help.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

It is possible for pushed back eyeball

+2

Good Afternoon,

By removing too much fat, the eyeball can be pushed back.  I would suggest following up with your surgeon regarding this matter.

Dr. Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

You are noticing asymmetry after Blepharoplasty which is not uncommon.  Some of the asymmetries can cause your eyes to look like one eye is more sunken or protruding then the other.  Alternatively, you may actually have one eye more sunken or protruding. Your surgeon should be able to address these issues.  If you are seeking another opinion, be ready to provide pre-operative photos and undergo a full examination. 

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

The nurse did not push you eyeball in!

+1

Photographs would be very helpful to understand what you are now experiencing after blepharoplasty.  It sounds like you are telling us that after eyelid surgery, your left eyelid is more ptotic or droopy after eyelid surgery.  This is a relatively common problem after eyelid surgery.  Your current eyelid surgeon may or may not be able to help address this concern.  However, one thing is for sure.  Your surgeon will be highly motivated to make you happy. I would recommend bringing your concern to the attention of your surgeon and getting their recommendations.  If necessary, consider a second opinion.

Eyeball asymmetry

+1

More than likely you had some asymmetry prior to surgery. Sometimes surgeons gently push on the eyeball to see the herniated fat.

Please send picture

+1
Your statement that your eye were even before surgery need evaluation by looking at the before pictures. Every person has some asymmetry and in some cases they become more noticeable after surgery. Pictures would help.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon