Pus Draining After Liposuction?

I had liposuction done 8 weeks ago and have had pus draining from one of the cannula entrance sites. I saw my surgeon and he is treating it with antibiotics and I am packing it daily with iodoform gauze. The pus is no longer present but the tiny opening is still deep into my belly. The area is located just above my pubic hairline. Something has been said about a tract? Will this close up over time or require surgery?

Drainage at 8 Weeks Following Liposuction

+1

Infection from liposuction occurs rarely and should be followed closely by your plastic surgeon.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Post Liposuction Infection

+1

Thank you for your question. This area is a high risk for abscess due to the production of sebum in the hair follicle.  It may take 6-8months for complete healing. Be certain to get re-evaluated and stay under the supervision of a board certified plastic surgeon for best results.  I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction infection

+1

Infection following liposuction is rare in our practice. Assuming that your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon, continue to follow hie or her instructions. 

Stanley Okoro, MD

Infection after liposuctiion

+1

Infections following liposuction are very rare.  If you have continued drainage, fevers And redness spreading away from the incision site, you should be seen as soon as possible.  Antibiotics should help this resolve, but you may need more aggressive intervention.  Make sure your surgeon is aware of your situation and is addressing it. 

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Keep doing as your surgeon

+1

recommends.  It is unusual to have infections after liposuction, and it is a long hole for the cannula, so it will take some time to heal.  The amount of gauze you pack should be getting smaller as the time passes, so that is one way to see if things are progressing.  Good luck!

Eleanor J. Barone, MD

Infection with liposuction

+1

An infection after liposuction is extremely rare.  I would follow closely with your surgeon to make sure things are healing well.  Good luck.

Infection after liposuction

+1

Infection after liposuction is extremely rare, but does occur. Most are easily treated with antibiotics. If the drainage continues there may be an opening or a tract that remains.. As long as the skin opening remains open by packing, the tract should slowly close by itself. Continue checkup with your surgeon to make sure the tract is closing properly.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon