Puss and Dark Red Drainage After Rhinoplasty - Is This Normal?

I had rhinoplasty and a septoplasty this past Wednesday. Its a little over 48 hours after surgery. I am still having drainage and having to change my drip pad every 3 hours or so. My doctor instructed me to not touch or clean the inside of my nose or even on the outside or around it at all so it could clog the draining blood. I have no packing in my nose, but I do have 2 silicone splints inside. Dark blackish red and pink drainage and some whitish snot is draining. Is this normal after 2 days?

Drainage After Rhinoplasty

+2

Although it is completely normal to have some degree of blood and/or mucous drainage from your nose 3 days after a Rhinoplasty, these questions are better referred to the operating Surgeon.  Remember that you paid a surgical fee for surgical intervention and postoperative care, and it is best that you take advantage of direct access to your Surgeon.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Drainage 2 Days after Rhinoplasty

+1

Drainage is probably normal 2 days after rhinoplasty; pus is not. See your surgeon for evaluation and treatment, if necessary.

Bloody and Purulent drainage from nose after surgery

+1

There may be some drainage from the sinuses as well as mucus drainage. If you have a fever, it could be a sign of a serious infrection and I would notify my physician as soon as possible.

Nasal Drainage and Crusting after Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Hi Orlando1654 in Orlando, FL,

Splints are commonly used in deviated septum or rhinoplasty surgery. Nasal splints may be internal or external. Internal nasal splints, which may or may not be used, are typically removed around 1 week after rhinoplasty. The silicone internal splints help support the septum & to improve healing. Internal splints may be used for deviated septum surgery (septoplasty), but may not necessarily be used for rhinoplasty.

In addition to silicone splints, dissolvable sutures are commonly used inside the nose. These splints, stitches, and normal healing all contribute to nasal crusting, mucous, and nasal drainage. Most nasal bleeding occurs within the first couple days after surgery. Thick mucous and crust will greatly improve once the splints are removed.

While every surgery is unique and each rhinoplasty surgeon has their own postoperative care instructions, many rhinoplasty surgeons encourage hydrating the nose with nasal saline spray and antibiotic ointment. Speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon regarding any concerns you have; only he/she can help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dark blood and drainage

+1

Its normal to have some drainage after rhinoplasty - however, I would recommend you see your surgeon if you have any concerns.  You are probably scheduled for some regular followups but I'm sure your surgeon would be more than happy to see you to check that everything is ok.  I know sometimes patients feel like they might be bothering their doctors - but you're not.  Most of us would rather you talk to us about your concerns and have us double check that there are no problems.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Bloody and whitish drainage after rhinoplasty

+1

Having bloody drainage after rhinoplasty is very normal. It's hard to know what to make of the white drainage you're seeing without an examination. I would call your surgeon's office to see if you should be examined for an infection.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Purulent Drainage Two Days After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Orlando,

Early in medical school we were taught by our ob-gyn professors to use the term "purulent discharge" when describing infection drainage from a wound rather than "puss" for obvious reasons.  Semantics aside, it is best to have your rhinoplasty surgeon evaluate your nose if there is any question regarding an infection after rhinoplasty surgery.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P 

Michael A. Persky, MD

Nasal Drainage after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is not uncommon for blood tinged mucus to drain from the nose in the first few days following rhinoplasty.  It appears you have Doyle splints in your nose.  Once your surgeon removes the splints your drainage should improve markedly.  At this time your surgeon might also allow you to begin saline rinses, but this is at his or her discretion.  Good Luck, Dr. Anthony Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Two days post rhinoplasty

+1

Some drainage and some blood is fairly common for a few days after surgery. If you have concerns contat your dcotor.