Pus 10 Days Post Op Breast Lift and Breast Aug; Normal or Not?

I'm now 10 days post op and I have silicone strips on my incisions and I have noticed that my left breast has pus dropping from one of the silicone strips and it burns from time to time. Just wanted to know if this is normal or should I be worried or could I be allergic to the silicone strips? Thanks to any one who respond

+1

Pus would  not be normal; a small amount of drainage would not be troublesome. This won't be resolved online--call your surgeon. 

This is NOT normal; you need to be checked.

+1

Silicone scar strips should not be used when the incision lines are not completely healed and closed, and should be discontinued if there is any skin break-down or sign of infection (increased pain, redness, swelling, or purulent drainage). However, an incompletely-healed incision line can also drain serum, which is yellowish in color, and can macerate the skin beneath an occlusive silicone scar pad. Patients frequently mistake serous drainage for pus because of its color (clear yellow); actual pus is creamy or cloudy and can be different colors.

You are not "allergic" to the strips, but your skin is not sterile, and surface bacteria can combine with the warm, wet, serous drainage and easily become infected, so it's impossible to say without examination and evaluation if you simply have an open draining suture line that has not yet healed (shouldn't be using a scar pad yet), or if this has broken down because of moist irritation from the scar pad and subsequently become infected.

Until healed, you need clean, dry incisions, bandages if needed to absorb drainage (change frequently to avoid a "pus-poultice"), NO scar pad use, and perhaps antibiotics.

You get a far worse scar from infection and break-down than from a properly healed scar even without scar pad usage.

Go see your surgeon and discuss proper wound care and scar pad usage. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Discharge From Breast Incision Line

+1

Although some discharge is not unusual, this situation should be evaluated by your plastic surgeon to rule out a complication.