I Have a Purplish Blood Spot That is Worrying Me, I'm Constantly Googling and is Really Freaking Me out?

The purple mark comes and goes, I've had it for about a month, in the exact same place, it will show up then fade then come back. This has happened 4 times now.

Is a purplish blood spot dangerous?

+1

The color purple usually signifies that this is a "blood vessel" growth rather than a "pigmentation" growth so it is less likely to be dangerous. However, to be safe, you should be carefully evaluated by a board certified dermatologist. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for Irregular Borders; C for Black or uneven Colors; D for diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance. You can follow the video link to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Do I need to be worried about this spot on my skin

+1

There is no way to make a proper diagnosis from a photo. But we tell people to follow the ABCDE's when checking their skin. A- Asymmetry, B- Border, C- Color, D- Diameter, and E- Elevation or E-Evolving. So, based on the fact that you have just noticed this spot, and it has some of these issues, I would get to a professional for an in-person examination and biopsy if needed. Google isn't going to help you and may continue to freak you out. It's best to just have the site examined by a trained professional.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD