Purified silicone and cellulaze?

Dear all, I have cellulitis onder my buttocks with some superficial holes. I wanted a solution for this and my doctor propose to minimize de holes door injecting purified medical silicone. He injected a really small amount on the holes. They are actually still visible. Next december I´d like to have cellulaze and smartlipo on this particular area of my legs and I wonder if the treatment with PMS could be a problem.

Laser Cellulaze and cellulite treatment

+2

In the United States injecting silicone of any form in the body is typically frowned upon because of the potentially disastrous longterm problems that can occur. That being said it is unlikely that the amount you have had injected would cause problems if you were to pursue Cellulaze treatments or SmartLipo as you describe.

Cellulaze is a minimally invasive treatment that uses a laser probe inserted through tiny incisions under the skin. The laser energy is delivered to the deep surface of the skin to tighten the skin and release the bands that cause dimples. It is probably the most effective cellulite treatment on the market today. Your results will depend on the physicians understanding and experience with the technology so be sure to see a board certified physician in your area with an expertise in Cellulaze. Good luck!

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Injectable Silicone

+2

While silicone may be deemed "medical grade," silicone gel injection is not a safe medical procedure. Free silicone injections can develop sinus tracts, fistulas, granulomas, and recurrent infections. The only routinely safe procedure (with a low complication profile) for buttock augmentation is autologous fat injection. This procedure uses your own fat harvested via liposuction and injected in small amounts into the buttock.

For cellulite treatment, the best current therapy is using a 1440 nm laser, inserted into the subcutaneous tissues (Cellulaze). This laser is used to 1) liquefy the excess fat pockets, 2) Subcise (break up) the dimples by cutting the fibrous bands of connective tissue, and 3) stimulating collagen formation and skin tightening to the overlying skin.

The permanent injectable material you have is at risk of infection at any time, including during subsequent procedures in that area. It may be advisable to remove the silicone prior to performing subsequent procedures such as laser liposuction (SmartLipo) or cellulite treatment (Cellulaze).

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon