Should I Purchase the "Extra" Warranty?

I visited my PS today and picked my cup size. Yay! The manufacturer offers: Current Warranty: $1200 towards surgery and/or anesthesia Extended if I pay $100: $2400 towards surgery and/or anesthesia is this worth it? It's only for 10 years.

Should I Purchase the "Extra" Warranty?

+3

It is a personal decision if you wish double the possible reimbursement for 20 years at $2,400 at a cost of $100 extra. It is a type of insurance the implant company provides. Believe me I think it is worth the extra $100 but again it is a personal decision. From MIAMI 

Warranty

+3

The warranty is worth it and I find that many patients forget about it-so our patient coordinator sends reminder emails after surgery as the cut off is 45 days

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Warranty

+2

The implants are well made, but the future is unpredictable.   It is a personal decision, of course, but our office recommends purchasing the extra warranty.  The extra $100 is a good investment as it doubles the amount that can be put toward the OR and Anesthesia fees.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Warranty and implants

+2

This is a personal choice it is like when I buy an appliance in a store and they ask me if I want a varying extended warranty.  It is worth it when you have a problem, but the problem does not always happen.

Buying the warranty can be a great idea

+2

Implants rarely deflate or rupture, but when they do it can be a distressing issue for patients.  Although the surgery to replace the implant is relatively straightforward, the cost can be troublesome.  Allergan and Mentor will usually pay for the new implant and/or implants, and will give patients $1200 towards the anesthesia and facility fees if the event happens withing 10 years of the intial surgery.  Having the warranty provides the patient with an additional $1200 to go towards the surgeon's fee.  In most cases this allows the patient to avoid paying any extra money out of her pocket.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Is it worth it to purchase the Extended Breast Implant warranty?

+2

Approximately 1% of breast implants leak or deflate each year. The manufacturer will replace the implant lifetime; you do not have to do anything to receive lifetime replacement. Be sure to keep your implant identification information in a safe place.

If you do nothing and the implant deflates within 10 years, the manufacturer will give you $1200 to help with the cost of the OR, anesthesia, and surgeon. The extended warranty will double the payment to $2400, but it does not extend the time beyond 10 years.

After 10 years, you will receive a replacement implant, but no money. For $100, you are purchasing an additional $1200 coverage for 10 years. When you consider the entire cost of the surgery, OR, anesthesia, and implant, $100 is not a lot to pay for the extra peace of mind.

Richard L. Dolsky MD

Richard L. Dolsky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant warranty

+2

With a 10% deflation rate over ten years I think it is well worth the extra $100. It will help to defray to a significant degree any future cost.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Warranty

+2

I absolutely recommend the warranty- it covers your implants for life, covers the surgery costs (including surgeon fees), and only costs $100. In other words, it covers absolutely everything and is a fantastic warranty.

Derek Lou, MD

Extended Warranty

+2

It sounds like your Plastic Surgeon uses Mentor breast implants. First, these are great breast implants. They are made in the US and my patients have always been happy with them. Second, I do recommend spending the extra $100 for the extended warranty. I assume based on your warranty that you are getting the saline implants. These are great implants but if you have a deflation you will kick yourself for not getting the extended warranty.  You never know where life will find you at the time that it deflates. It is always best to have a plan for those "just in case" moments. Hope this helps and Good luck! 

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Extra warranty for breast implants, a good investment

+2

We do recommend the extra warranty for breast implants and feel that it is a good value for the $100.00. All breast implants will leak over time, and the leak rate at 10 years is close to one out of ten. Both major US implant manufacturers stand behind their product, and many surgeons stand behind their work, though for how long? Will your surgeon last another 10 years? We hope so, and piece of mind with the warranty helps too.

peterejohnsonmd