What is Punch Excision for Pores?

Punch excision for pores

• Pores are enlarged opening of oil glands on the skin.
  • A punch biopsy is intended to make the pore size smaller by cutting it out and suturing it closed.
  • Problem - the punch is larger than the pore and may leave a scar noticeably larger than the pore. 
  • Also - the oil gland lies deep in the skin - unless the punch goes right through the skin and removes the gland, either the pore will return or a cyst will form.
  • Enlarged pores can be difficult to treat - I would consider something less aggressive unless the risk is definitely worth it to you. Best wishes.

Punch excision for pores

Punch excision refers to use of a small device to remove the poor.  In some cases this can lead to improvement but and others you can trade an enlarged pore for a scar.  Sometimes following punch excision with laser skin resurfacing can help improve the appearance of scars.  I would recommend evaluation by a specialist who has a great deal of experience in treating acne scarring and facial scars before deciding to proceed with punch excision treatment for large pores.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Punch Excision for Pores

A punch excision is akin to a cookie cutter that we use every day in dermatology. With it, we can remove skin lesions or concerns of various sizes, from 1 mm to many millimeters, depending on the size of the lesion we are dealing with. Pores, though can be tricky, and sometimes using this method can end up leaving small scars that may not look as good as the pores were before having something like this done. We are all born with pores and pore size, for the most part, is genetic. We cannot shrink pores but with various treatments, including peels and fractional lasers, as well as the microneedling RF devices (EndyMed Intensif), we can improve the appearance of one’s pores, with minimal risks of scarring, which we want to avoid at all costs. I would recommend making an appointment with a board certified dermatologist to see what the best options are for you.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

... its like a Cookie cutter for pores.

That is it. Deep open pores can be treated with several methods, the 2 most common methods that I employ is the punch excision method, followed by the TCA CROSS method. 
Which method is better? This depends on a few factors including the size and location of your pore, your skin type, and whether you plan to have other procedures following the treatments. 

OK, say if you pore is 1.2 mm in diameter, we would choose a 2 mm punch. This is like a cookie cutter, and we remove 2 mm down to a core (possibly 2-4 mm deep, again depending on location). We then usually use one suture that is removed 4-6 days after the punch excision. This technique is an excellent method for treating multiple large deep pores. 

Most often I follow this up with laser resurfacing, as it then smooths out the area. Job done. 

Hope that helps

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Punch Excision For Pores and Acne Scar Treatment

This means you cut out the pore with a round circular blade and then close the excision or implant a skin graft with the sam size. This is a very aggressive approach. There are other less invasive and risky approaches including just excision, or deep lasering and trichloroacetic acid deep peeling

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne scars can be treated easily with various methods.

Acne ice pick scars look like big pores and punch grafting skin from behind the ear into the hole is easy to do and works well. This fills in or closes the hole up nicely and is done under local. It is then dermabraded to cover up the scar. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

What is punch excision for pores?

A punch excision is a nice method for excising certain scars and lesions. A small cylindrical knife of varying diameters from 1-5mm can be used for the punch excision. A small circle is left which can be sutured closed and will heal as a linear scar.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is Punch Excision for Pores?

Thank you for your question. Punch excision is a surgical treatment used to cut out benign moles or may be used for cosmetic purposes such as acne scars. I would not recommend excision for large pores. I would recommend consulting with a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for safest and best treatment option. I hope this helps.

Punch excision for acne scars

A punch is a small, circular, cookie cutter shaped scalpel.  It can be used to remove deep acne scars which would not otherwise respond to lasers, peels, or fillers.  The deep pitted scar gets replaced with a less noticable suture scar.  In some patients this is the best choice.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Skin Punch Excisions

The punch excision is done with a tiny 2 - 3  4 - 5  mm cookie cutter device which punches or cookie cuts out a deep pit, pore, scar, etc which is then either left to heal in or sutured with one tiny stitch.  This may help in certain patients.  Try one pit or pore and see the results.  If you like the improvement, do some more etc.  This is an ages old, but still useful,  technique.  It is rarely a miracle but it helps.  My Best,  Dr C