Pulsed Dye Laser or Yag Laser for Decreasing Oil Production?

I have a excessive amount of oil production from the nose and forehead. No acne. How effective is Pulsed Dye Laser or Yag Laser for this concern? Up to what degree does it decrease oil production? Does it harm surrounding cells, cause discoloration or scarring, etc.? Thank you.

Unwanted Oily Skin

+1

Excess oil production is a very common problem that can be difficult to treat. The most effective treatment for extreme oiliness, is oral Isotretinoin (Accutane). After a course of therapy, most people find their oil production is markedly improved. Some patients may require a low dose to maintain their results.

I have found some patients oiliness has improved with both the V-Beam pulsed Dye and GentleYag (long-pulsed Nd:Yag) lasers. I would not expect a great result, and only some patients respond, but those that do can see an reduction of up to 50% in their oil production. Of the two, I have found the GentleYag more likely to be effective.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser treatment for decreasing oil production

+1

Neither of these lasers should affect oil production in your skin. If they do, the treatment was too agressive and will probably cause scarring. The oil producing glands are deep in the dermis and skin is regenerated from the air follices from which the glands arise. You don't want a laser treatment that goes that deep.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon