I Have Taken Pulse Dye Laser to Treat Port Wine Stain. Left With Dark Brown Patches?

I Have Taken Pulse Dye Laser to Treat Port Wine Stain.they Used 8nm(i Dnt the Unit Excatly) Before a Month Ago.now Some Dark brown patches occur instead of fading...it looks very ugly.i am afraid now.how much time it will take to recover and will these patches removed or not?please help me.

Skin discoloration after port wine stains treatment with Pulse Dye Laser

+2

Port wine stains are due to vascular malformation. Weber Sturge syndrome can be associated with the Port wine stains ofn the face and angiomas /aneurisms most commonly in meningeal (brain) layers.

Pulse Dye Laser energy is absorbed by haemoglobin of the red blood cells present in the engorged capillary network of a Port  wine stain. 'Cooking up' the red blood cells with laser causes capillary wall to become inflammed, sticky and close down for the flow of blood.

Heamosiderin (iron byproduct of the haemoglobin brake up) seeps through the permeable non functioning capillary wall. It is deposited in surrounding tissues, giving it brownish-gray discoloration. It might take a few months till scavanger immune cells in skin will reabsorb haemosiderin deposts and discoloration disappearing. Please be patient.

London Dermatologist

Brown Patches After Pulsed Dye Laser Treatment

+1

Brown patches left after pulsed dye laser treatment could be from one of two reasons.  

Firstly, inflammation that resulted as a by product of the laser treatment could result in darker discoloration of the treated area.  This is known as post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.  It is most common in darker skin tones.  To treat this, protect yourself diligently from the sun and consider using a bleaching cream.

Secondly, as another dermatologist mentioned, the pulsed dye laser works by injuring the blood vessels in the target area.  Injury could lead to leakage of blood breakdown products that could stain the skin.  Your body will most likely clear this on its own, but it can take 6-12 months.

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon