Is Pulse Dye Laser Safe for Patient with Seborrheic Dermatitis?

Is it ok to get Pulse Dye Laser treatment for acne scars and rosacea if I have facial seborrheic dermatitis?

Pulse Dye Laser is safe when used properly

+1

The Pulse Dye Laser iseffective in treating redness and blood vessels. This is great for rosacea but will not help seb. derm. Your dermatologist can recommend an effective treatment.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Pulse Dye won't cure the cause of seborrheic dermatitis

+1

Seborrheic dermatitis is an inflammatory skin condition and results in the skin being red and scaly in certain areas, especially the face and scalp. The pulse dye laser (595nm) is an excellent laser for redness, but will not fix the problem. Your dermatologist can prescribe topical creams and lotions or shampoos for your seborrheic dermatitis, which should be under control before attacking the leftover redness. At that point, treating the leftover redness with the pulsed dye laser would be a good choice. I prefer to use the 532nm KTP laser for this effect because it is less likely to bruise, but either would help. Good luck!

Michael H. Swann, MD

Springfield Dermatologic Surgeon