Will Insurance Cover Pulsed Dye Laser Treatments?

I am 25 and was prescribed high dosages of prednisone due to an inflammatory condition. I developed dark, red stretch marks all over my thighs, hips, stomach, and arm areas. I saw a dermatologist who suggested pulse dye laser treatment. How much of this will I need and do insurances usually cover this treatment as a result of a medical condition, medication?

Laser treatment of Stretch Marks is considered cosmetic

+1

Though your stretch marks developed as a result of your prednisone and treatment for an inflammatory condition, it is unlikely that your insurance will cover the cost of treating them.  Over the years, we have tried to ask for insurance coverage for treatments of  acne scars/ stretch marks/ keloid scars, etc and have not been successful.  

While stretch marks in general are very difficult to treat, the redness in stretch marks can respond to pulsed dye laser.  Multiple treatments are usually required.

Dr. Mann

Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Insurance Will Not Cover Stretch Mark Removal

+1

Unfortunately, stretch marks are considered a cosmetic condition and we do not know of any insurance provider that would cover this type of treatment. It is usually out of pocket.

We do think that your physician has made a good recommendation for your stretch marks and we hope it works out well for you.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/stretch.aspx

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.