Pulling on Right Side (3in from Navel) After Full Tummy Tuck?

I am almost 4 weeks out from a full tummy tuck . I have very minimal swelling and still wear my compression garment at night. When I drive, I get a pulling sensation on my right side (3in from navel) when switching between the gas and break. my commute is 1hr each way. It is now bothersome all day long. My doctor was not concerned. It is localized and not swollen. I am, also now my 18lb, 19 month old and have been for almost 2 weeks. I was given a 20lb weight restriction. Thoughts?

Pain and weird sensations after tummy tuck

+1

Find out if your surgeon used quilting stitches to tack the undersurface of your abdominal fat pad down to your rectus fascia.  I routinely do this to improve contour, minimize drain time and prevent seromas.  The downside of these stitches is that patients sometimes have pain or pulling in one or more of the quilting sutures.  This always resolves because the stitches dissolve.

If he/she did not use quilting stitches, it is probably an area of nerve regeneration.  Anti inflammatories may help along with massage.  It will likely get better on its own. 

It could also be the edge of where the muscles were repaired.  In that case, you need to back off on use of your core and let the area heal.

Make sure you follow up with your surgeon!

Pain in side after tummy tuck

+1

It is not uncommon to feel aches/soreness in certain areas after a tummy tuck.  As swelling completely resolves, this will go away.  I would recommend aggressively massaging the areas of soreness in a deep tissue method 3 times a day.    This will help break up swelling or scar tissue in the area and should resolve the pain.

Paul S. Gill, MD

+1

Many odd sensations, including like what you describe, are quite common after TT, and usually are never tracked down to a specific cause. Almost always these are self-limited. Discuss specific limitations with your surgeon, who has followed your recovery. 

All the best.