Pulling out Lashes Effect on Latisse Results?

I have an obsessive compulsive disorder called trichotillomania--I pull out my eyelashes. Does this damage the hair follicle in such a way that it would somehow make Latisse more dangerous or less effective?

Treat the underlying disorder if you pull your lashes

+2

Sometimes patients pull on their lashes due to an underlying irritation or blepharitis of the lashes where they are bothered by sensations at the lash line, and getting this medically evaluated and treated is important before considering Latisse. Likewise, if this is a psychological problem it would be best to have this treated to curb that behavior before trying Latisse in my opinion.

As to the effectiveness, it requires follicles that can be stimulated by Latisse for it to work. If there are still a number of viable follicles, which there probably are, then Latisse should work for you. Of course, if you grow new lashes only to pull them out, there is not going to be much benefit.

Denver Ophthalmologist

Effect of pulling out lashes on Latisse results

+1

Dear Amy,

Latisse works by stimulating the lash producing follicle to remain active longer - producing a longer hair / lash. It will NOT work DESPITE your continuing to pull out hair and lashes. So, there is little point of your using Latisse if your compulsive pulling of hair is not controlled or reversed. Assuming you consulted a good psychiatrist / psychologist and the process has been stopped (with Habit Reversal Training and ? clomipramine, a tricyclic antidepressant), then, I think you would benefit from Latisse.