Pulling Breast Lift Scar with Exercise?

I had a breast lift/right side reduction exactly two weeks ago and I have resumed working out with light weights.

I love doing pullups as part of my routine but I am afraid to do them as I do not want to pull the scars. How long should I wait?

Breast Lift and Exercise?

+2

Your plastic surgeon will guide you as you recover from your breast lifting surgery. Pull-ups are obviously very strenuous;  in my practice I would ask that you refrain for at least 2 months after breast lifting (longer if breast implants have been used).

Heavy lifting and breast surgery

+1

To me, I think that three weeks is a bit early to return to heavy exercise.  This may result in a hematoma if you are not too careful.

You can exercise 3 weeks after breast lift.

+1

Hi.

In Manhattan, our routine is to let patients exercise freely in a tight sports bra three weeks after a breast lift, and we have had very few problems.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Lift Scar and Exercise

+1

I'm a firm believer in moving immediately after breast surgery.  Breast lift involves essentially skin since no muscle is involved.  Incisions take six weeks to reach full strength so I recommend my patients waiting till at least 4 weeks to do strenuous exercise.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and pull ups

+1

I would wait until you speak with your surgeon about starting pull ups. Depending on what type of a lift you had, in some cases we would recommend waiting until six weeks after surgery to start these exercises. In other cases, two weeks is fine. Your surgeon's advice would be the best guide for you. Good luck.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Exercise after breast lift

+1

Pullups can produce significant strain on a breast lift scar and I would never want to offer any guidelines here without knowing more details about the procedure. As suggested by the other surgeons, seek the advice of your treating surgeon.

Exercise after breast surgery

+1

I would first advise any patient to refrain from any and all activities that increase blood pressure and heart rate for 2 weeks after surgery to minimize the risk of bleeding. After that I, customize the exercise protocol to suit the operation. A breast lift has the potential to wound separation because in order to shape the breast some tension on the incisions is required. I would discuss specifically with your doctor what you want to do for exercise and get their approval.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Likelihood of Breast Lift Wound Separation with Exercise

+1

Early physical activity CAN result in wound separation and other complications. Each surgeon knows how much tension was left on the wound and has definite preferences when he / she prefers to allow their patients to return to vigorous physical activity. I would therefore suggest you ask your surgeon.

In general, the more you can postpone it - the better the wounds will heal. I prefer a 4-6 period of rest and wound healing before I would feel comfortable with you engaging in this activity.

Dr. P. Aldea

Workout after breast surgery

+1

The best advice is to follow your surgeon's recommendations. In our practice, we would tell you to make sure all wounds are completely healed. If you had an anchor mastopexy, the inverted T portion is very susceptible to separation. A general guideline is to wait about 6 weeks before doing vigorous upper body work such as pull ups. However, it varies with your healing and your doctors will be the best guide of when you should start.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon