Pulled Up Lip After Rhino - One Week Postop

My nose was upturned a little too much for my liking, but it was done well and doesn't look like a pig nose. My concern is that in my relaxed state my upper lip feels as though it is being pulled up by my nose and my mouth remains open. It looks very unnatural. I am one week post op - my cast was taken off today. I am still swollen, but is this something you have seen before and will it most likely resolve itself, or can it be that my nose was pushed up too far?

Post Rhinoplasty pulled upper lip

+1
It is simply to early to determine how your nose and lip will appear this soon after a rhinoplasty. It is common to have swelling in the nose for several months and tightness and pulling associated with it is normal. Do not be alarmed this should dissipate in time. It is also not uncommon to have further swelling after the splint is removed and you should see improvement from your tip to your lip as the recovery phase proceeds. Best regards!

Upper lip pulling after rhinoplasty

+1

It is common to feel like your upper lip is being pulled upward by your nose right after rhinoplasty surgery. It's especially common with the open approach due to the small columellar incision. Regardless, the tightness should resolve after several weeks.

The amount of lip tightness isn't an indication that the tip was upturned too much. At a week out from your surgery, the tip should become less upturned as the swelling improves.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Turned Up Tip

+1

One week is just the tip of the iceberg in regards to your healing.  The swelling will subside and the contour of your nose as well as the position of your upper lip will improve.  Keep you follow up appointments with you surgeon to monitor your healing.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Swellen Lips after Rhinopasty

+1

Dear rhinoplasty patient from Chicago,

It is too early to determine if there is any problem with your surgery. After any surgery, there is variable amount of swelling and bruising. Swelling from your surgery may have caused your upper lip to appear pulled up. Please be patient and wait for swelling to subside. Talk to your surgeon for reassurance.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Rhinoplasty - pulled up lip

+1

It's normal to have swelling, pulling, and sometimes be a little up-turned a week after surgery.  Please don't worry!  I would wait until at least 4 mo after your surgery to see how things settle.  Of course, if you have any concerns, you should talk to your rhinoplasty surgeon.  I'm sure he/she will be happy to answer any of your questions.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

I don't have a pig nose, but my lip is pulled up one week after a nose job...

+1

Increasing tip projection involves putting more support into the base of the nose (the strip between your nostrils).  This will increase the amount the nose sticks out and will fix a droopy nose, but it does pull up (recruit) skin from the upper lip.  At a week after surgery,  not only does the tip support inserted during surgery increase tip projection, but also any swelling fluid in the tissues will accentuate the pull on the upper lip.  As this swelling fluid resolves with healing, the tip will drop down, and the pulled skin from the upper lip will gradually settle down too.  It is all part of the healing process.  One of my head nurses from years ago told patients that it is probably best to cover all the mirrors in the house for a few weeks after surgery!   Get rid of the stress, worrying will not help anything.  

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD

Nose Pulled Up Too Much After Rhinoplasty

+1

I would not pay any attention to how your nose looks until at least 3 to 6 months after a rhinoplasty.  It will settle down a great deal in that time.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Post rhinoplasty look

+1

One week after a rhinoplasty procedure, you will have a lot of swelling and may feel pulling in peculiar ways.  Give it some time to heal.