Felt A Sharp Pain in Right Breast, Could It Be Pulled Muscle Or Something Worse?

I am 29 years old. I had breast augmentation 9 years ago. They are saline and above the muscle. I had tubular breast. I have been playing Roller Derby (a full contact sport) for 3 years now. I had a game about a week ago and felt fine till about an hour later. I reached for something and had an extremely sharp pain in my right breast. It has not gotten any better. It hurts only when my breast moves. For example lying down or leaning forward. It does not hurt to breath or laugh. No other changes

Breast pain

+2

First of all, I think it is a testament to the durability of breast implants that you have played a FULL contact sport such as roller derby for 3 years without a problem.  Regarding your current pain, breast pain or pain in the area of the breast can certainly have many causes.  Just because your implant is above the muscle does not mean that you did not injure the pectoralis major muscle (large muscle of the chest).  You should see either your primary physician or a plastic surgeon for a physical examination to aid in determining the cause and treatment.

Good luck,

Dr Simon

Pain after exercise with breast implants

+1

Roller blading is an extreme sport and I'm not surprised that you have some pain occasionally.  I don't believe this has anything to do with the implants, but more likely an aching muscle, or possibly a tear.  See your doctor and get a more formal diagnosis and treatment plan.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Breast pain after roller derby

+1

Wowo!  Roller derby.  I did not even know that they still play that sport.  Anyway, having breast pain can really be from so many different things. The possible simplest cause is a muscle strain from the roller derby. A full exam would be essentail to offer any specific advice.

Sharp Pain

+1

Without examining you it's difficult to tell but most likely you strained your pectoralis muscle.  I would recommend that you be examined by your doctor to make sure that all is OK.

Breast pain

+1

It's certainly possible for you to pull a muscle in your chest...but this likely has nothing to do with your implants if they are over the muscle.  It was unusual to place saline implants over the muscle nine years ago although there were certainly some specific situations where it was advantageous.  Are you really sure your implants were placed over the muscle?  If indeed your implants are under the muscle then there may be other reasons for your discomfort.  I'd suggest a visit to a Plastic Surgeon to find out exactly what's going on.  If your implants are over your muscle then this may simply ge due to a bruise in your breast although, without an exam, it's difficult to rule out any other causes.  Good Luck!  Scott Newman, MD FACS

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS